• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure ideas?

Mtinney

3 Year Member
I'm working on picking out my first T. I do not have any idea what kinda enclosure to get, though. I plan to get it when it's still a sling, I'm currently stuck between Grammostola porteri/rosea (currently my favorite because they are known for being docile) and Lasiodora parahybana (they're just beautiful! And I've heard them called gentle giants but also Devils lol!) Advice??

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Rosies are hit or miss. Don't get me wrong. I love them. But they are absolutely not docile all the time. They are the moodiest of my T's.
My LP is still small and a bit skittish but has never threat posed so far.
Depends on the size of your new T for enclosure, any ideas on that yet?

Sterlite containers work as do various glad containers deli cups and the like. (I like the square ones potatoes salads come in,) put ventilation in and fill it with sub, water dish and a hide of some sort. A couple plastic plants if you like them.

Last edited:

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Then a small deli container would be perfectly fine. Those little reusable one cup containers they sell. Think it's a four pack for 2-3 dollars would work perfectly for them. Check your local dollar store. They don't need much room at that size. Smaller makes it easier for them to find their prey as well.

timc

3 Year Member
little condiment cups work just fine for spiderlings. Put in some air holes, some substrate, a hide and boom you're done. A lot of people use water bowls but just a few drops of water on the sub works just as well.

Mtinney

3 Year Member
Then a small deli container would be perfectly fine. Those little reusable one cup containers they sell. Think it's a four pack for 2-3 dollars would work perfectly for them. Check your local dollar store. They don't need much room at that size. Smaller makes it easier for them to find their prey as well.

Wow I was thinking something way fancier but I have a bazillion of those around the house!! Thank you!

Mtinney

3 Year Member
little condiment cups work just fine for spiderlings. Put in some air holes, some substrate, a hide and boom you're done. A lot of people use water bowls but just a few drops of water on the sub works just as well.

They would be able to drink the water even if it's in/on the substrate?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just give them a water bottle cap. It's easier lol A monopoly house, a single square of lego. Anything that can be cleaned and holds water.
All my babies drink water when it's available. (Especially my LP and my L violaceopes.)
Also helps keep it slightly moist in there for them. As it evaporates it maintains a slight humidity that helps a lot with molting etc. For my tiniest babies where there's no room for a water bowl I give them a couple pieces of Moss that I keep damp for them. :)

timc

3 Year Member
They would be able to drink the water even if it's in/on the substrate?
Yup they'll drink right out of the ground. And then it's super cute when they're cleaning their fangs. Honestly I have mostly given up water bowls with most of my spiders. Either they web it over, fill it with substrate, or just bury it. My OBT has 4 water bowls hanging around his enclosure and I'm not going in there after them! The only thing with wetting the substrate directly is a higher risk for mold. Just make sure there's plenty of ventilation and let it completely dry out before wetting it again.

Mtinney

3 Year Member
That is so cool!!! & wouldn't be hard to actually do it. Just don't know where you'd get the acrylic to build an enclosure so you could do that. And if it would even be worth the expense and trouble. Could you do do that on a plastic enclosure? I'd imagine it would weaken the plastic.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 25

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't like the look of the deli/condiment cups. I use the amac boxes for my slings, looks more organized that way for my OCD ;) a buck and change for the 2x2x4" ones, perfect for the little slings like that. Then once they're getting to big for that one i move them to the 4x4x5" box.

Mtinney

3 Year Member
I don't like the look of the deli/condiment cups. I use the amac boxes for my slings, looks more organized that way for my OCD ;) a buck and change for the 2x2x4" ones, perfect for the little slings like that. Then once they're getting to big for that one i move them to the 4x4x5" box.

I love those great idea! I'll save them to my bookmarks!