• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure for 1" sling

Paul Bowen

3 Year Member
T Team, I purchased a tuber ware container and used a drill to put holes in the container/lid but the drill caused a rough puncture inside the container. Should I file it down before placing the sling or am I just being too motherly?

Thanks.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
A sharp knife will slice off any rough bits, a file may scratch the surface of the container.

Paul Bowen

3 Year Member
Hide for my sling. Made it out of my kids bowl. Anyone recognize the show on TV?

Is this hidentry good? I filed the entrance to smooth it

Attachments

• 20170104_211430.jpg
    20170104_211430.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hide for my sling. Made it out of my kids bowl. Anyone recognize the show on TV?

Is this hidentry good? I filed the entrance to smooth it
looks fine. if your worried about the cut edges you can melt them smooth.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
New enclosure using push pin for holes.

View attachment 21619

Looks good. Don't worry about the hide opening size, as long as it's big enough for the T to get inside it's fine. To large isn't an issue, if it's on the smaller side for the T he'll dig it out so he can get inside, that's why i think it's better to use half tubes rather than full tubes as hides.

Paul Bowen

3 Year Member
So what size enclosure should my sling be in? Right now it's in a 5" round Tupperware container. Is that too big for a 1" sling?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wouldn't think so. For my T's i put them in enclosures 3 times wide as their DLS. then have time to molt a few times before rehousing again. Once they get to be better than half the width of the enclosure i move them again.

Watch the T, if it doesn't eat, or tries to get the prey and it's able to run away without being chased, the enclosure may be to big. My A. seemanni will go into a stress curl if i put him in an enclosure too large. He's my tiny house spider ;) I had him in a 3.75" square amac box, when he hit 2 inches i moved him to a medium Kritter Keeper (8x7.75x11.75"). He hid in his hide the whole time in a stress curl. I rehoused him in another amac box 4x4" and within 2 days he had dug his burrow. Now he's hiding in it in premolt.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
yea my first ever hide was a shoe box cut in half and a entrance cut out about 1 and 1/2 times her size so she had little to no trouble entering or exiting and she didnt seem to mind how wide her door was as long it gave her a dark corner to web up :)

Latest posts