• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Empty Ten Gallon Tank, ideas?

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
Our crayfish has passed.

What can live happily in a ten gallon tank that is not a tarantula or a crayfish?

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
A rat, hermit crabs, gerbils, a pretty little milksnake?
Millipede centipede, dwarf toad or frogs or...

Scorpions!!

Rats could not live in a 10 gallon tank, and neither could an adult milksnake.

Scorpions a good choice or a frog?

A chinese dwarf hamster would be pretty fun in there!

Telson

3 Year Member
Scorpions. You could put several adults in there, if they're buthid sized. Or just a male and a female, let them make babies :) I have 4 females of different sp with broods on their backs, plus 2 broods ive already seperated from mom. Be careful, they apparently breed like rabbits..:) Easy and fun to raise. The scorplings grow fast, faster than tarantulas, the mating is kind of interesting, and while most scorps are hiders like tarantulas, they come out more often, even the babies. Some dont seem bothered by my presence at all. Adult buthid sp. Seem to get along famously. My vittatus colony is very social, as are the gracilis and sculpturatus. I have 2 adult H spinigerus that seem to do fine together as well. Any American scorpions will be cheap, as well;) Except for C margaritata, which are central american but apparently have been introduced to Florida, like gracilis. They still go for 30-50 per sling. Gorgeous though, check it out: I have 5 babies im raising seperated until adulthood. When they breed, ill be selling the babies for ten each in an effort to get more in circulation. Imo, this is the prettiest buthid in the US
WP_20160527_17_34_14_Pro.jpg

Bad pic, but you can see how pretty this male is.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Rats could not live in a 10 gallon tank, and neither could an adult milksnake.

Scorpions a good choice or a frog?

A chinese dwarf hamster would be pretty fun in there!
Agree about the milksnake, it would outgrow the tank eventually. However most locally sold in my area are very tiny.
Having bred hooded domestics for some years I disagree about the rat. A single rat will do fine in a ten gallon provided it gets play time and interaction with you. Amazing pets by the way. Rats rock.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Done:) Im sending a surprise in your birthday package as well, for making you wait;)
Rearranging to find the perfect spot for the scorp tank as I type actually, my family objected to keeping them in the middle of my desk lol setting up a shelf right beside it instead :p

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
Hmmm. Scorpions are something I may look into. I've had rats before, I love them. I'd want a lot larger home and a buddy for it if I were to get again.

I give my LP and G. pulchripes a twenty gallon so they have room. I figure if your living in a box for the rest of your life you need as much room as possible.

I was reading up on frogs, but not too sure about them. I could probably catch some green tree frogs or a toad.

Telson

3 Year Member
Hmmm. Scorpions are something I may look into. I've had rats before, I love them. I'd want a lot larger home and a buddy for it if I were to get again.

I give my LP and G. pulchripes a twenty gallon so they have room. I figure if your living in a box for the rest of your life you need as much room as possible.

I was reading up on frogs, but not too sure about them. I could probably catch some green tree frogs or a toad.
Ive thought about frogs, and snakes, but i dont like the smell of reptiles..Bugs are easier, and cleaner, in my opinion. Fair warning: Scorpions are a powerful branch of the hobby, obsession wise, once you get interested and start reading and looking at different sp. Theyre generally much cheaper than spiders, as well. Which is refreshing. If you decide to start a colony and breed, I do suggest a large colony of some sort of feeder..roaches, crickets, whatever. Scorplings will eat and eat and eat ..I believe I'm feeding too much though..theyre growing really, really fast. The buthids are known for it, but my god..in a year, a 2i will mature, from the looks of it.

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
Agree about the milksnake, it would outgrow the tank eventually. However most locally sold in my area are very tiny.
Having bred hooded domestics for some years I disagree about the rat. A single rat will do fine in a ten gallon provided it gets play time and interaction with you. Amazing pets by the way. Rats rock.

We will have to agree to disagree. Rats are social creatures who really should not be kept alone unless necessary. No human can provide them the amount of time or interaction that is needed and we cannot replicate a second rat either. One rat in a ten gallon tank is honestly cruel and any amount of play time with their human will not make that space livable. Also, ten gallon tanks do not provide the ventilation necessary for rats. Rats number one health problem aside from cancer is respiratory issues and those are just made worse by poor ventilation. I used to keep two rats in a ferret nation and they utilized every inch of that space.

Latest posts