• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dwarf Tarantulas

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As many people don’t have much room to house lots of big Tarantulas I thought I’d start this thread of dwarf species, none of them will reach more than 2.5”. Most of mine are slings and comments are my personal experiences of them, the exceptions to this are the Paraphysa sp. Tiger and the H. Incei which are juvi/sub adults.

All the ones I have listed are NW except Heterothele gabonensis which is OW.

Please feel free to add more if you have any.

Ami sp Panama - adult size approx 2.5”. Fairly easy to care for and will web a bit and sometimes burrow.
Ami sp Panama.jpg

Cyriocosmus bertae or Dwarf Black Tiger – adult size approx 2”.
Cyriocosmus bertae.jpg

Cyriocosmus elegans or Trinidad Dwarf – adult size approx 2”. This one is a burrower
Cyriocosmus elegans.jpg

Cyriocosmus perezmilesi or Bolivian Dwarf Tiger – adult size approx 2”. A great webber and greedy feeder.
Cyriocosmus perezmilesi.jpg

Hapalopus sp Colombia klein or Pumkin patch small – adult size approx 2”. This one is a burrower and webber that will heap substrate up its web.
Hapalopus sp Colombia klein.jpg

Heterothele gabonensis or Gabon Blue Dwarf Baboon- adult size approx 1.5”. The only OW dwarf that I have. A burrower
Heterothele gabonensis.jpg

Holothele incei or Trinidad Olive Tarantula – adult size approx 2”. A prolific webber turning the whole container into a mass of web tunnels.
Holothele incei.jpg

Holothele sanguiniceps or Trinidad Pink – adult size approx 2”. Small scale burrower.
Holothele sanguiniceps.jpg

Kochiana brunnipes or Pygmy Fire Leg – adult size approx 2”. These are great tunnellers.
Kochiana  brunnipes.jpg

Paraphysa sp. Tiger or Chile Tiger – adult size approx 2”. This one hasn’t webbed or burrowed seems happy to stay out in the open.
Paraphysa sp. Tiger.jpg

Phlogiellus sp. baeri or Philippine Dwarf – adult size approx 2”. A small amount of webbing but is usually in full view.
Phlogiellus sp. baeri.jpg

Last edited:

EZGodmod

3 Year Member
I really like the look of many dwarf species, but there is something about these massive Ts that I'm drawn to. Thinking about maybe picking up a H.incei or a large pumpkin patch to see if that changes.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@EZGodmod I too like many of the larger ones but I bought the H. incei and loved their behaviour so my collection of dwarf Ts grew. One of my favourites is the Paraphysa sp. Tiger, it's a juvi/sub adult and is always pottering around, no web, no digging but it's a great feeder and just looks so soft and furry.

EZGodmod

3 Year Member
@Enn49 Yeah man, from your pic the Tiger looks like really neat too! I'll have to see what all is available at the herp show coming up next week.

PamCz

3 Year Member
This is a great thread, @Enn49! Thanks for taking the time to put it together. I just recently got my first smallish T...a Cyrtopholis portoricae, or Puerto Rican Pygmy. It'll be 3-5", so not a dwarf, but a medium sized T! (What pygmy?? lol) You've piqued my curiosity regarding the little dwarves, tho. I'll have to look into these for the next order I'll eventually place...

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks @PamCz . I put it together because I had difficulties finding dwarf species myself. There are still a couple that I'd like such as Cyriocosmus ritae and Plesiopelma longisternale but they will have to wait a while until I make more room for them.

I really hope that others will add to it if they have any I've not listed

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@FaaFaa I can see differences, for one yours has a distinct black line across the abdomen before the stripes start whereas the P. sp Tiger has stripes along its sides too.

These were some points posted on another forum where someone was querying the species:-

A few things for the 'tiger'

-Metallic green/blue femurs
-Metallic green carapace
-Red setae patch on abdomen
-"tiger" stripes on the side of the abdomen
-distinctive long setae on abdomen

Were first collected and exported in 2008

PamCz

3 Year Member
@FaaFaa -- I agree. They look the same to me too -- those cow licked butts! ;)

Thanks @Enn49 for posting the P. sp. Tiger's colors/patterns. I found them on PetCenterUSA, I think. I'm hopeless....already looking for my new acquisitions. :)

PamCz

3 Year Member
Thanks @PamCz . I put it together because I had difficulties finding dwarf species myself. There are still a couple that I'd like such as Cyriocosmus ritae and Plesiopelma longisternale but they will have to wait a while until I make more room for them.

I really hope that others will add to it if they have any I've not listed
Now, I have to go look those up! HAHA!;)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I thought I might update this thread with some new photos.

Ami sp Panama - adult size approx 2.5”.
DSCF0394 (2).JPG

Cyriocosmus bertae or Dwarf Black Tiger – adult size approx 2”.
DSCF0863 (2).JPG

Cyriocosmus elegans or Trinidad Dwarf – adult size approx 2”.
DSCF1504 (2).JPG

Cyriocosmus perezmilesi or Bolivian Dwarf Tiger – adult size approx 2”.
DSCF0792 (2).JPG

Hapalopus sp Colombia klein or Pumpkin patch small – adult size approx 2”.
DSCF0671 (2).JPG

Heterothele gabonensis or Gabon Blue Dwarf Baboon- adult size approx 1.5”.
DSCF0881 (2).JPG

Holothele incei or Trinidad Olive Tarantula – adult size approx 2”.
DSCF1221.JPG

Holothele sanguiniceps or Trinidad Pink – adult size approx 2”.
DSCF0920 (2).JPG

Kochiana brunnipes or Pygmy Fire Leg – adult size approx 2”.
DSCF0731.JPG

Paraphysa sp. Tiger or Chile Tiger – adult size approx 2”.
DSCF0322 (3).JPG

Phlogiellus sp. baeri or Philippine Dwarf – adult size approx 2”.
DSCF1497a.jpg

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for the photos, awesome thread. I'm liking all of them...but you just cant beat that pumpkin patch for looks. The perezmilesi is also very interesting..I love a webber. So I'm hearing conflicting reports about the pumpkin patch, some say they burrow all the time and some say they're out in the open. And some say its the females that hide, and that males are the ones out and about for obvious reasons. What has your experience been Enn49? I'm thinking of getting a sexed female is why I ask. Right now I'm interested in dwarves and Pamphos mainly. I've got a few obligate burrowers and they're lovely, but I'm not a fan..so I'm not looking for a burrowing dwarf, even if they need less substrate because they're small.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My pumpkin patch is unsexed at the moment but although it does burrow it is spending more time on the surface so I see quite a bit of it.

The perezmilesi is a great little T, webbing a lot and spending almost all the time in view. Photo of it showing its belly tonight so it's just as colourful upside down.
DSCF0939 (2).JPG

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@MassExodus I think you missed my edit, I added the new pic of the perezmilesi
Beautiful! I'm sold on that one as well...that enclosure looks wicked, just like my GBBs' !! I'm going to go price them..Those are desk top display spiders if I've ever seen them :D How's their temperament? I know you said they were great eaters, that's a huge plus..

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Beautiful! I'm sold on that one as well...that enclosure looks wicked, just like my GBBs' !! I'm going to go price them..Those are desk top display spiders if I've ever seen them :D How's their temperament? I know you said they were great eaters, that's a huge plus..

It's definitely a good feeder and although it can be fast mine is quite calm and never shows aggression.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's definitely a good feeder and although it can be fast mine is quite calm and never shows aggression.
Well, you've given me a new obsession Enn49...I now consider the C ritae and the C perezmilesi as must haves...there's a video on youtube of a female ritae hanging on to her sac as her owner attempts to take it...what a stunning spider, I see why you want one. I had no idea it existed. I love the looks of the ritae, and a few others as well, but the perezmilesi reminds me somewhat of a tiny Bumba cabocla with a better paint job, very unique looking. If I hadn't just had to pull my water heater out today and buy a new one, they'd be in the mail on the way here already :) I also watched videos on the sacs and slings...they're so tiny! Anyway, thanks for this, all I could see were Pamphos before...and they're a bit expensive still. I may put them on hold, while I build a dwarf collection, and wait for the prices to go down ;)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@MassExodus There are some beauties around once you start looking but many I think are ignored because people prefer the big hairy Ts. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine when you eventually get them.

Latest posts