• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubia Roaches?

dragonfly_dust

3 Year Member
I have decided to get my pet shop lady into this. She said I am the first person to ask about dubias (I am her only T customer), but if I can build a need with more customers, she just may start carrying them. What other pets eat these guys?

Large reptiles that need protein in their diet. Dubias are great for bearded dragons due to the adult roach's size and the beardie's food consumption. Much easier than tiny crickets! Skinks love them too for the same reason. The roach nymphs on the other hand can be fed to any animals that eat crickets. Geckos, frogs, toads, etc.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know that Leopard Geckos will eat roaches...as I am sure many other insect eating reptiles would as well, probably frogs as well.

Atx13

3 Year Member
My Ts seem to like meal and super worms better than crickets, lol. Can't wait to see what they think about dubia..

Atx13

3 Year Member
roach colony is to small? Just throw in a couple mixed lots, to up your numbers until they start breeding.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have decided to get my pet shop lady into this. She said I am the first person to ask about dubias (I am her only T customer), but if I can build a need with more customers, she just may start carrying them. What other pets eat these guys?
That is a very smart play. I have a colony of mealworms and can't feed fast enough to keep the population down.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Crickets are not nutritionally insufficient. There's a reason they are still the staple feeder in this hobby. I know people who have been in this hobby 30-40 years and have used nothing but crickets.Not all tarantulas will accept roaches, plus they're illegal in certain parts of the world. Not sure where the OP is located, but locusts are illegal here in the U.S. Superworms and mealworms can be a pain to deal with because they burrow, and those jaws can do serious damage to a molting or recently molted tarantula.

Jackmya91

3 Year Member
Rainbowmealworms.com sells dubias and super affordable plus live garuntee (can hold package at post office). I get 50 dubias from them to feed my T and my suggies band last me about 1.5-2 months :)

crazyrob.2013

I am somewhat of a tarantula Enthusiast I've owned my baby girl for 6 years now I've only ever fed her crickets a friend of mine told me I should try out dubia roaches I'm a little iffy on the fat cuz I don't have much knowledge about it are dubia roaches better I'm not necessarily speaking about nutritional facts I'm just wondering if they're easier to feed them I live in the area where crickets are hard to come by and have to drive 100 miles to buy feed I'm just wondering if dubia roaches would be more easier route for me to take beans I can keep them alive in their own environment any info on this fact would help greatly thank you

crazyrob.2013

I was contacted by someone who said that feeding my spiders crickets was insufficient for their nutritional needs. That is what I was told to feed them since I got them. This "concerned T owner" also said that dubia roaches were the only thing they should eat and that I should consider selling my Ts to somone who knows better. Nobody in an almost 3 hour radius even sells them! So as a newer T hobbyist, I am starting to wonder... to dubia or not to dubia?
I actually started this forum with the same question I want to switch my baby girl over to dubia roaches because where I live is extremely hard to get crickets I have to drive over a hundred miles to buy crickets and they don't even last that long they usually kill each other friend of mine told me I should think about starting a part of me thinks it be fun so I'm trying to get any info on this I've had my Rose Hair Tarantula for 6 years and she loves crickets but I need a more sufficient with feeding what have you figured out I've been reading this thread and everybody says something different any info would be great thank you

Latest posts