• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

dubia question for breeders

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
So I have owned dubia roaches for over 2 weeks.. the room they are in stays between 70 to 75 and they always have the dry dubia diet and water crystals.. I also give them grapes or oranges as fruits and they are in a huge plastic tote with large air vents cut into the lid with aluminum screen hot glued over the holes and plenty of egg crates.. but in the past few days I've had about 10 die on me.. not a single big one only small ones under an inch.. is this normal? there is roughly 250 dubias in the cage but shockingly it's not crowded.. a lot of the egg crates are less than 1/4th full so I dunno.. could it be humidity related? I mist my t's enclosure but never mist the dubias

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I had a couple species die off on me, but never dubia or lats. Id say just keep monitoring them. Try carrots as a water source, they dont need water crystals daily. I also use ground high protein dogfood and fish flakes, which they seem to love. My average humidity is 60 in my room, if that means anything. Your temp is fine..not sure what the issue is. Heres my setup
20170304_155606.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Also, ahile back I stated i would "flood" one end, away from the food and crates, but i just dribble water and make it damp, i dont really flood it. And thats about once every few months. Mine get their water from carrots. Which I also like, with ranch, but i dont give the dubia dressing :)

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
I put a few baby carrots in there but I don't know if that is the issue because they were eating grapes as well

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
I just registered over there and man they take security seriously over there lol.. to prove I wasn't a bot I had to say how many legs does a roach have and type in 2 different words to again make sure I'm not a bot and now I have to wait on an admin to approve my account before I can post.. a lot of steps :p

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just registered over there and man they take security seriously over there lol.. to prove I wasn't a bot I had to say how many legs does a roach have and type in 2 different words to again make sure I'm not a bot and now I have to wait on an admin to approve my account before I can post.. a lot of steps :p
They got me in pretty quickly if I remember correctly. Its worth the wait, its a smaller forum, like this one, but if you have a roach question, that's the place. I find a few of them a bit anal retentive, :D, but theres some cool guys too. The main guy, Orin Mcscottishname, is a published author and a bit of an expert. He also has a great book on amblypygids. Smart mofo ;)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
could it be the grapes? you're not supposed to feed those to pets, dogs, cats, etc., something in the skin is toxic if i recall correctly.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
could it be the grapes? you're not supposed to feed those to pets, dogs, cats, etc., something in the skin is toxic if i recall correctly.
hm.. I guess it's possible? but I haven't had anything but tiny nymphs die and I also gave grapes to my crickets without any deaths?

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
From the sounds of it you got a lot of ventilation and not so much moisture, since it was only little nymphs that died off on you I'm assuming they died of desiccation, (the younger the roach the more sensitive they are to lower moisture levels). I would mist them more often, perhaps keep one corner moist at all times, and maybe lower the ventilation as well, cover it up with tape or something.

Yeah, they've had troubles with spammers in the past, even now with all the security measures a spammer will get on from time to time, they get reported and banned really quickly though, and it has not happened much since they updated the forum a few months ago. Still, the wait is worth it, it's my favorite place on the web by far, my "home forum", if you will. :)

The main guy, Orin Mcscottishname

LMAO "Orin Mcscottishname"! :D

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
From the sounds of it you got a lot of ventilation and not so much moisture, since it was only little nymphs that died off on you I'm assuming they died of desiccation, (the younger the roach the more sensitive they are to lower moisture levels). I would mist them more often, perhaps keep one corner moist at all times, and maybe lower the ventilation as well, cover it up with tape or something.

Yeah, they've had troubles with spammers in the past, even now with all the security measures a spammer will get on from time to time, they get reported and banned really quickly though, and it has not happened much since they updated the forum a few months ago. Still, the wait is worth it, it's my favorite place on the web by far, my "home forum", if you will. :)

LMAO "Orin Mcscottishname"! :D
ok I took your advice and misted the corner on the opposite side og the egg crates and covered some of the air vents

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I had a couple species die off on me, but never dubia or lats. Id say just keep monitoring them. Try carrots as a water source, they dont need water crystals daily. I also use ground high protein dogfood and fish flakes, which they seem to love. My average humidity is 60 in my room, if that means anything. Your temp is fine..not sure what the issue is. Heres my setup
View attachment 22841
What are you using on the bottom of that tote?

Latest posts