• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubia colony

Pasodama

3 Year Member
I don't, and have never, used substrate. No problems.
'Course, a shallow depth of "sort of substrate", made up of frass (which the babies love), develops over time.;)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ive always used an inch or so of substrate. I use jungle mix. Not sure if its beneficial or not, but the babies do like to dig through it, and as stated they eat the frass that mixes into it. Most people dont use sub for dubia, just to simplify cleaning and maintenance I suppose. I just figure, they're burrowers, let them burrow if they want :p

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ive always used an inch or so of substrate. I use jungle mix. Not sure if its beneficial or not, but the babies do like to dig through it, and as stated they eat the frass that mixes into it. Most people dont use sub for dubia, just to simplify cleaning and maintenance I suppose. I just figure, they're burrowers, let them burrow if they want :p
very good point on the burrow aspect.

Latest posts