• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubai Roach Breeding

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh yeah they keep the eggs inside then live birth. Lol sorry was spaced out when I worte that
say what? lol

Dubia give live birth like we do. lateralis lay ooths, hard cylindrical looking egg things that are very easy to tell apart from the frass. Both roach's new born nymphs eat the frass for the nutrients they need the larger/adult roaches didn't digest.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
yea from what I read on the life cycle of dubais it claims the female dubais do in fact have eggs but they never lay them.. the document I read said that she keeps the eggs inside until they hatch and then she gives live birth

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yea from what I read on the life cycle of dubais it claims the female dubais do in fact have eggs but they never lay them.. the document I read said that she keeps the eggs inside until they hatch and then she gives live birth
interesting. I've never read into it, i just knew they were live bearers and i have numerous itty bitty dubia in my container every time i open it ;)

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That is correct. So i guess technically they are live bearing

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
say what? lol

Dubia give live birth like we do. lateralis lay ooths, hard cylindrical looking egg things that are very easy to tell apart from the frass. Both roach's new born nymphs eat the frass for the nutrients they need the larger/adult roaches didn't digest.
yeah I was on mushrooms so i wasnt thinking properly when I wrote that,haha.

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
I am about 99.99% sure that the female dubia will like partially lay an ooth but then it will go back inside where they then come to term and are born. I even believe I've witnessed it.

I had a head injury about seven years ago and lost my mother five years ago so a lot of the details from my old days are keeping are coming back to me as I read topics on this forum. Lol

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am about 99.99% sure that the female dubia will like partially lay an ooth but then it will go back inside where they then come to term and are born. I even believe I've witnessed it.
I got to see one the other night when i was feeding my Ts giving birth. She had a long tube thing extended from her rear and maybe a couple dozen nymphs attached to it. really freaky lol. But yes they "lay an egg" but keep the egg inside them until it's time to hatch. Once hatched they climb all over their mom. Reading up on this they stay with the mom until first molt, then leave her to explore their little sterlite tub world ;)

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Re. The dark.
Have never kept my Dubia in the dark and they still breed like crazy.
They are kept in deep, clear (a little opaque), tubs with no lid. No escapes since they cannot climb the smooth sides.;)