• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

dropped mealworms

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
ok so while feeding my T's today I lost a mealworm (tiny ones) in a couple of the T's substrate... will they pose a threat like a cricket would in case one of them goes into a molt? i figure if they cross paths again they will probably be lunch but is this something I should worry about?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I lose the occasional one but my T's usually dig them up, just check for it and if they don't eat it you can kill it or remove it.
I don't know personally if they would go after the T, everything I read says no that they will just burrow then pupate,
but they CAN bite, its just rare for them to do so. If your worried about it keep an eye out for it especially after its dark.
they seem to gather on top when its lights out at my house.

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
thanks kymura... they were teeny tiny things so its gonna be awhile before they pupate so I figure it will become lunch someday

Meludox

3 Year Member
Same thing has happened to me..B. albop rejected two mealworms because she is in pre-molt and they burrowed away. I couldn't get them out because of how she has burrowed.

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
the A.metallica I have kept showing interest in the mealworms but when it grabbed onto it and I let go the T kept dropping them into its enclosure so I got some tiny crickets to try one out and it has been munching on it for a couple hours now... I am surprised they are that picky lol

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Some tarantulas won't eat mealworms or superworms. Same goes for roaches. Burrowing mealworms isn't much of an issue with Avics, because they'll build their retreats up high away from the ground. If it were a terrestrial then it may be a different matter.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Some tarantulas won't eat mealworms or superworms. Same goes for roaches. Burrowing mealworms isn't much of an issue with Avics, because they'll build their retreats up high away from the ground. If it were a terrestrial then it may be a different matter.

For a large spider the mealworm beetle would probably be a snack, if it can get past the noxious stink cloud the beetle uses for defense. I wouldn't try to feed them just because of that, not sure what the stink cloud would do to a spider, if anything. The beetle would be very good for hydration though, they don't need water themselves but create water internally.

Latest posts