• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

DIY Terrarium

LeahThomas

3 Year Member
I wanted to start a thread for those of you who make your own terrariums for Ts to explain how you create them (if you wish to share the secret). If any of you have videos on how to make them, that'd be even better :) I think it'd be a good way to share different techniques and and skills required to do so. I personally don't like the look of Kritter Keepers and other standard store-bought enclosures and would love to know how you guys build your custom terrariums.

Thanks!

Spidro

3 Year Member
Personally I liked the exo-terra enclosures, but didn't like the screen mesh tops. Used plexiglass and black silicone to make a new top. Pretty simple judt cut the plexiglass with an exacto-knife a bunch of times until u can snap ot the size u want, put the silicone on the edge ur sticking it to, lay it down, clamp it if u can, let it dry. I suppose you could use plexiglass to make any sized enclosure u wanted and use black silicone and maybe some type of plastic or wood edging to make the "frame". It would be time consuming though and a bit of a pain in the ass to make a whole tank out of plexiglass, also expensive. But im sure the end result would be really nice.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
the exo-terra are not good enclosures for terrestrial tarantulas. They don't have enough room for substrate.

Spidro

3 Year Member
I havent had a problem with mine, ive got maybe 5-6 inches of substrate in my exo-terra and my t never really burrows. He's been happy with the homemade burrow I made for his hide.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I havent had a problem with mine, ive got maybe 5-6 inches of substrate in my exo-terra and my t never really burrows. He's been happy with the homemade burrow I made for his hide.

You can get six inches of sub in no problem, but that leaves way to much room for a fall. I personally try and discourage climbing (by terrestrials) as much as possible. Can't really do that in an exo.

@Nada, if you don't like the Exo terras for terrestrials, what would you recommend?

I use plastic mostly, rubbermaids, sterilites, and container store sweater boxes. Glass tanks work too.

Spidro

3 Year Member
You can get six inches of sub in no problem, but that leaves way to much room for a fall. I personally try and discourage climbing (by terrestrials) as much as possible. Can't really do that in an exo.
Yes I noticed falls were bad when it came to these tanks, that is why I built my own decorations and crafted platforms, mounds and the like to only allow for 3 inch falls anymore. Its all in how you design your tank. I do agree with u on the plastic tubs though, cheap and effective for the sizes of them u can get. Thought about taking one and making a window through the lid in plexiglass so u can always see in. That might be a good option?

Quandry

3 Year Member
I use plastic mostly, rubbermaids, sterilites, and container store sweater boxes. Glass tanks work too.

That's what mine are in. Well, my larger one is. The juvenile and sling are in deli containers of different sizes until they get big enough that I don't have to worry about their food never coming near them. I really like the low plastic containers for the terrestrials. Plus they are easy to hide when the apartment manager or maintenance comes over. :p I just tuck them in with other storage containers, and it looks like nothing at all out of the ordinary.

When I get some ornamentals someday, I want a nicer set-up, though. The calmer terrestrials are fun to take the lids off and sit and watch, but I wouldn't do that with something more defensive or active, obviously. xD

Latest posts