• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

DIY acrylic enclosure

Marija

3 Year Member
I've thought about making one for a while. Just never get around to getting what I need for it. Then I just end up using a tub.(which I dont really like since most of them arent clear.
I'm not very skillful to make this kinda thing lol. For smaller Ts I get plastic containers which look very cheap to me and as you say they are not as clear.
If you got the skills and the patience I say go for it :)

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm not very skillful to make this kinda thing lol. For smaller Ts I get plastic containers which look very cheap to me and as you say they are not as clear.
If you got the skills and the patience I say go for it :)
I'm going to attempt to make a door for an 5gal tank that i want to use as an Abboreal enclouser first.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
I've watched those videos several times over trying to decide if I am skilled enough to pull off a build from scratch. I haven't tried yet because acrylic is not cheap and I'd hate to mess it up.

I do think I am going to build some doors soon though. I look forward to seeing how yours turn out.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
I lined the inner edges of mine with hot glue and no dust leaks out. Mine has a gbb in it so I haven't tested it for water tightness.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Have thought about making my own acrylic enclosures but, other than the satisfaction of having made it/them, still haven't found someplace that sells acrylic cheap enough to make it really worthwhile (financially) vs. purchasing ready made.
Will have to do some more looking.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've watched those videos several times over trying to decide if I am skilled enough to pull off a build from scratch. I haven't tried yet because acrylic is not cheap and I'd hate to mess it up.

I do think I am going to build some doors soon though. I look forward to seeing how yours turn out.
Yeah, I'm with you. I dont have to cash to spend if i mess up. As with a door, I can get at least 3 out of a sheet. So if i mess up the first one I can try again;)

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If anything I'd like to try and make one for an adult T as its final home. So i do have some time on my hands for that happenig.
Have thought about making my own acrylic enclosures but, other than the satisfaction of having made it/them, still haven't found someplace that sells acrylic cheap enough to make it really worthwhile (financially) vs. purchasing ready made.
yeah I do like the aspect of having them made and ready to go as wel

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i have 3 different sizes of them. I'm happy with them. Only problem is the substrate dust leaks through the cracks, and water can also. THey're much better than the happy pet acrylic enclosure i have with the rubber o-rings to hold it together.

That silicone aquarium sealer might work, non toxic once it's fully dry. People have used that stuff for years.

TBrian76

3 Year Member
Here's a cheap DIY acrylic enclosure ;)
https://www.amazon.com/Dalle-Craft-...4003&sr=8-2&keywords=dalle+craft+reptile+cage

I have 10 of these in my collection. i'll be buying more soon as my T's outgrow the amac boxes from the container store.
https://www.containerstore.com/s/clear-flush-lid-amac-boxes/d?productId=10028594&q=amac
I went to the container store today after reading this post. I found exactly what I needed. They have lots of acrylic boxes. I drilled ventilation holes and now have cheap, good look enclosures. I highly recommend the container store.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
you wont. or at least i can't. i was looking here https://www.acrylite-shop.com/US/us/index.htm and after shipping the pre-made are slightly cheaper.

Latest posts