• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

DISASTER! :(

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Late to this one, but I would have advised you against superglue, it never works out they way people say. A better option for the future is natural cigarette rolling paper applied over the rupture. It will slow leakage, allow for "clotting" and will just molt off with no issues. Also no potential harm or.dangers as are associated with super glue.
Keep.her hydrated. She may pull through yet.
Thanks for the advice. Is cigarette paper better than cornflour then? Had to do something when I found her as she was really banged up and super glue was all I had to hand. She is still hanging in there at the moment.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tonight's update....she is battered, she is bruised, she is covered in cornflour and has an extra water dish to keep hydrated but she is still hanging in there everyone so keep everything crossed and you best wishes and advice coming. Thanks everyone will keep you all updated.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So sorry to hear about this! Hopefully she molts and pulls through. Are you going to offer pre killed prey or what for feeding? I would power feed her into a molt, someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.
With regards to power feeding and pre killing, do I offer direct using tweezers and if she refuses just take it away or do I leave the dead cricket in the tank to scavenge? As daft as it sounds, even with raising loads of slings, never pre killed, just gone down the pinhead/micro cricket route so always hunting.

Ghost

3 Year Member
Tonight's update....she is battered, she is bruised, she is covered in cornflour and has an extra water dish to keep hydrated but she is still hanging in there everyone so keep everything crossed and you best wishes and advice coming. Thanks everyone will keep you all updated.
I'm glad to hear that's she's still hanging on hopefully she'll make it to the next moult and will be fighting fit again,I'll keep my fingers crossed for you both and remember T's are a lot more hardier than most people think.....

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

All fingers and toes crossed for her.

With regards to power feeding and pre killing, do I offer direct using tweezers and if she refuses just take it away or do I leave the dead cricket in the tank to scavenge? As daft as it sounds, even with raising loads of slings, never pre killed, just gone down the pinhead/micro cricket route so always hunting.

I'd try her with tongs first but no harm in leaving the dead cricket overnight if she doesn't take it.

Ghost

3 Year Member
I personally wouldn't risk feeding with tweezers just in case you damage her fangs I would just offer pre-killed.....

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I personally wouldn't risk feeding with tweezers just in case you damage her fangs I would just offer pre-killed.....
Without tongs I would have to leave on ground which with her being vertical atm and not moving too freely is that the best option?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm glad to hear that's she's still hanging on hopefully she'll make it to the next moult and will be fighting fit again,I'll keep my fingers crossed for you both and remember T's are a lot more hardier than most people think.....
I hope so buddy.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for the advice. Is cigarette paper better than cornflour then? Had to do something when I found her as she was really banged up and super glue was all I had to hand. She is still hanging in there at the moment.
I cant say one is better than the other, too early to tell yet. However, the cornstarch is going continue to absorb fluids until it is saturated. The paper will absorb much less fluid, but achieve the same end.

syzygy

3 Year Member
Many years ago I had a sling manage to get it's legs and body through an air hole, but it's fat abdomen kept him from escaping. He couldn't back out so I had to cut him free and in the process his abdomen scraped on a plastic edge and he was leaking pretty bad. In that case superglue worked well. By the 2nd post injury molt there was no visible damage and he lived a full Brachy life.

Obviously a very different situation, but there is hope. I'm rooting for her.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Many years ago I had a sling manage to get it's legs and body through an air hole, but it's fat abdomen kept him from escaping. He couldn't back out so I had to cut him free and in the process his abdomen scraped on a plastic edge and he was leaking pretty bad. In that case superglue worked well. By the 2nd post injury molt there was no visible damage and he lived a full Brachy life.

Obviously a very different situation, but there is hope. I'm rooting for her.
Thank you. Tonight is when I will start the prekilled cricket approach. She is a fighter bless her. BTW, welcome to the forum. I see by your profile you have only just joined, so let me be one of the first to welcome you and hopefully your first like.:)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sapphie update.....corn flour keeps being applied. 1week on from discovering the wound. She has not taken any food yet (pre killed) either by tweezers or left to forage. She seems to deteriorating if I am being honest but all out of ideas now. Nature will decide.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks buddy. Not renowned for my patience but I am giving her every chance under the circumstances
i am very thin on patience myself but these guys definitely test ur limits thats for sure. good luck. keep us posted!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
olive oil will remove super glue from our skin. Would that work for the T also?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It is with much sadness that I must announce that just after a week discovering my little gem Sapphie with an appalling injury that she has passed away. In this instance super glue, corn flour, pre killed crickets and every other method recommended did not work. I am not surprised given the extent of the injury - that still remains a mystery to me - but at least she is no longer suffering and is with all the other loved Ts in that big web in the sky. Thank you all so much for your support and best wishes. Bye bye Sapphie. Daddy will miss you gorgeous girl x