• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Did you have a winter?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have been handling the little jumpers for years, they crawl all over me like I was their personal hunting spot, NEVER seen any aggression from them or even come close to being bitten :p

Nunua

3 Year Member
We had few days of snow and low degrees here in Skåne (Southern Sweden), but since I'm from Finland, I can't call those few days a proper winter :D

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have been handling the little jumpers for years, they crawl all over me like I was their personal hunting spot, NEVER seen any aggression from them or even come close to being bitten :p
after looking up the jumping spiders, what everyone around here calls a jumping spider doesn't appear to be one. The ones i'm referring to are small, the biggest i've seen is maybe the size of a quarter, legs included. they're solid black with grey or white bracelets, for lack of a better term, on their legs. The closest i can find to compare looks almost like this one, but these here don't have the white on the abdomen.

I may be allergic to them, the bites are small and just basically a red dot, but they itch insanely. usually get them in the night while i'm asleep in the spring and fall. It's either these little black spiders or the brown house spiders we see now and then, but my money is on the black ones as they're more numerous ;)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
im betting on the tiny brown house spiders, those thing sneak in tiny bites that itch horribly!
I think we get the 'daring' jumping spiders Phidippus audax but im not positive as these are really small. 'Maybe' half an inch at best, what I read says they get a bit larger. I would LOVE to get a larger one though, so adorable. Had one sitting on my hand all morning, didnt even move when I picked up my cup, just casually groomed itself.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
im betting on the tiny brown house spiders, those thing sneak in tiny bites that itch horribly!
I think we get the 'daring' jumping spiders Phidippus audax but im not positive as these are really small. 'Maybe' half an inch at best, what I read says they get a bit larger. I would LOVE to get a larger one though, so adorable. Had one sitting on my hand all morning, didnt even move when I picked up my cup, just casually groomed itself.
These seem like an awesome spider from what i've been reading since l looked them up yesterday. They have the coolest (most cool?) eye formation! if i had to choose a cute spider, it would be these :) Now i'll have to see if they sell them lol

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
When I think of jumping spiders I think of Phidippus audax. I should find my photos of one eating a moth on our porch.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Those "bites" that everyone blames on spiders seem to be dust mites, everyone has them, and small red welts are a common indicator of their presence. Spiders would have no reason to bite you, unless you rolled over them in your sleep, and I mean come on, would that many be on your bed on a regular basis?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
never said it was a regular occurrence ;) just seems to happen more in the spring when the spiders come out and about and then come inside to get away from the cold in the fall. Get them during the summer here and there also.

It's not mites, i know what those bites are like, as well as bedbugs after an unfortunate stay in a cheap motel on a road trip half a dozen years ago or so.

@Kymura is probably right and it's those brown house spiders. they're a bit bigger than the jumping spiders and seem to roam more. Typically only see the little black jumping spiders on the walls, while the brown house spiders can be found anywhere.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here in MA, I see 'ish'. We had like 4 days of snow but a bunch of super chilly, below freezing days..that didn't have snow.

Also, I misread that at first and read "Did anybody have a weiner"
we had 4 storms, averaged a foot of snow each storm, and a couple weeks of sub zero temps scattered about.

And yes i did for lunch, with ketchup, mustard, pickle relish, onions, and jalapeno slivers ;)

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
we had 4 storms, averaged a foot of snow each storm, and a couple weeks of sub zero temps scattered about.

And yes i did for lunch, with ketchup, mustard, pickle relish, onions, and jalapeno slivers ;)
Ew...mustard. Haha. I went pescatarian so I no longer eat weiners. Though I did snuggle with one of my boyfriends dachsunds last night..does that count?

jrh3

3 Year Member

i have them around my barn in the summer. i see a few around 1inch in length

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
the little ones we get crawl all over everyone, they are super small though,
After T's then I
love wolf spiders, garden spiders and jumpers.
I am not however letting any more wolf spiders winter with me, they make egg sacks!
I dont want 99 rabid wolf spiders !

Latest posts