• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Did you have a winter?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm in central Alabama, we get prolonged cold and a bit of freezing but no real snow or the like, It was 70 the other day but had ice on the birdbath again today 0.0

Steve123

3 Year Member
:) Yes, up here in MA we've had minimal snow. We missed the big storm that hit the east coast a few weeks ago. Temps have been unusually mild, with some days in February requiring just a spring jacket (or none according to my 10-year-old). The day before yesterday I heard the first spring peeper. There is a layer of ice on the wetlands water this morning. May not last the day though.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I miss the peepers....rarely if ever hear them here, born in MA and raised between West Springfield MA and Randolf VT :p
They used to cover the area in VT. Was crazy, like a plague, loved it ^.^

Steve123

3 Year Member
Nice! That's the pretty part of MA. In a few weeks we'll be moving to just south of the NH border, rolling hills, gorgeous. We will be near some wetlands still, so I can be lulled to sleep by the ruckus created by a chorus of peepers. Most days in winter, I wish I were in a state like AL, raising Ts, koi, and camellias. :T::cool:

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm jealous! Guess its because I'm getting old, just miss it up there.
AL shows me nothing, seriously. I'm in a little podunk town,
sheriff rides his horse around town so hes ready for our yearly 'mule day' parade 0.o

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm in south Texas. For the past two or 3 weeks we've been having perfect, gorgeous spring days. On Christmas I went outside in shorts and a t-shirt, threw the ball for the dogs..Ive been here 20 years now, after being raised in Alaska. I still can't get used to the heat..

reptyls

3 Year Member
Living in Key West, Fl we never have a winter. It got down to 58 once this year which was freezing for us. lol We have the A/C going in the house now. I am originally form New Hampshire and do not miss the cold at all!

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
Was 69 Today in chicago. Was a terrible Ski season so wan't much of a winter this year. Hoping the El Nino would go away.

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
Up here in southwestern Idaho, it usually gets pretty cold in the winter, but this year, not so much. We barely got any snow, and it has felt like spring for a while now... I'm telling you guys, global warming is taking it's toll! :eek:
Super Cheap gas prices don't help either with Global Warming lol. I got gas for a 1.30 at its lowest.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Up here in southwestern Idaho, it usually gets pretty cold in the winter, but this year, not so much. We barely got any snow, and it has felt like spring for a while now... I'm telling you guys, global warming is taking it's toll! :eek:
Where you at @Hisserdude ? we got 4ft of snow this year where i'm at in central Idaho (Sun Valley area), and an inch this morning after 2 weeks or so of almost 50F weather :) other than the more than normal snow, the temps were typical, lots of teens and 20s daytime temps and a week or so of sub-zero temps.

Lowest gas prices i recall this year here were $1.69 last year we had a week or so at $0.99 with spring coming here they'll shoot back up in no time ;)

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Where you at @Hisserdude ? we got 4ft of snow this year where i'm at in central Idaho (Sun Valley area), and an inch this morning after 2 weeks or so of almost 50F weather :) other than the more than normal snow, the temps were typical, lots of teens and 20s daytime temps and a week or so of sub-zero temps.

Lowest gas prices i recall this year here were $1.69 last year we had a week or so at $0.99 with spring coming here they'll shoot back up in no time ;)

I'm in the Boise area, in Treasure valley. We haven't had snow down here in a while, though there was a decent amount of snaow in the mountains. We have had quite a bit of rainy weather though.

I'm going to the Brunneu sand dunes this weekend the day before my birthday, I'm hoping the weather will be decent, I want to find some scorpions! :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think we are officially in spring now, had jumpers climbing on me looking for flies today,
LOVE those silly things, everyone is aware that if they kill my jumping spiders they are no longer welcome on my porch :p

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I think we are officially in spring now, had jumpers climbing on me looking for flies today,
LOVE those silly things, everyone is aware that if they kill my jumping spiders they are no longer welcome on my porch :p

What kind of cruel person kills jumping spiders? Besides my GM at work - who was going to kill the adorable tyke in my profile photo by spraying them with air freshener. Good thing he came to me first.
Even my most arachnophobic friends will go 'awww' over my jumper photos.
Now, if I could just get them to like my Dolomedes photos.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We have a neighbor who hates all insects and swats any he sees, last time I informed him not so politely to carry his ^&% home as the spiders were welcome while he, not so much :p
I look forward to them and we literally have a colony of the little darlings, I have several garden spiders (Argiope aurantia ) web my porch every year as well, I'm not above dropping them the occasional cricket ^^ One of my favorite things in the world is them bouncing their webs, I watch them reweb each and every morning with my morning coffee, its my quiet time :D
quick digital painting of one of my babie girls http://the-apparition.deviantart.com/art/Spider-Spider-253863662

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What kind of cruel person kills jumping spiders? Besides my GM at work - who was going to kill the adorable tyke in my profile photo by spraying them with air freshener. Good thing he came to me first.
Even my most arachnophobic friends will go 'awww' over my jumper photos.
Now, if I could just get them to like my Dolomedes photos.
me. I kill jumping spiders, and other spiders that find their way into my bedroom. I get really *****y when i get bit by one, i say itchy cause they itch like mad, but my son and friends correct me almost every time. I've let the 2 house spiders I've seen this winter in the other rooms of the house live ;) but my bedroom is off limits to all spiders except my collection.

Latest posts