• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Did my tarantula just molt without a trace?

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
That's sad. Sorry Hun. I think my GBB is not long for this earth. She molted a few weeks ago now but the old girl really really struggled, conditions were perfect but she is a pensioner so just too much for her I reckon. Only ever had one death in molt, but had to be a flamin expensive one tho didn't it...,P.Metallica

Awww, a greenbottle blue and an Indian Ornamental sapphire. That's sad, both such beautiful species.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Thanks Phil and Psyrocke! Yeah, his mind's probably on other things right now, like the natural instinct of trying not be eaten by a hawk or a lizard or a coyote fresh after molting :) I'll offer him some dinner on April 1st since it's about a week from now. I feel like not only will it give his body time to harden but it will get him hungry in the mean time lol!
Welcome! I think I gave my girl a prekilled small cricked (like no bigger than 3/4") at like 4 days in, but she didnt go for it, so I waited the full week and gave her prekilled to be safe and she at that one, so next feeding she got live.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome! I think I gave my girl a prekilled small cricked (like no bigger than 3/4") at like 4 days in, but she didnt go for it, so I waited the full week and gave her prekilled to be safe and she at that one, so next feeding she got live.
Never really done the pre-killed thing. It's like they said in Jurassic Park.....T-Rex doesn't want to be fed, she wants to hunt. Lol

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Never really done the pre-killed thing. It's like they said in Jurassic Park.....T-Rex doesn't want to be fed, she wants to hunt. Lol
My Tappi doesn't care. As long as it's food haha. It was a good way to test/safety precaution. I'd rather be extra careful.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've never bothered with prekilled. Just make sure the fangs are black before trying to feed. If they don't eat it, try again next feeding day. I've only had a couple that waited til the 2nd feeding day to eat after a molt. Most hit the roach like Mean Joe Green and Jack Ham used to drop the steel curtain on the opposing offense ;) yeah i'm bored watching old Steelers games until MLB preseason is over.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Prekilled is usually a good idea for tarantulas that you suspect may be in premolt but are not 100 percent positive or for slings that either get frightened by live prey or you have nothing but larger crickets to feed them atm. I will crush the heads of any prey items for my more defensive and/or potent species if I suspect them to be in premolt, mainly because chasing a cricket around in the terrarium of on of these is just asking to be bitten.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
I also do prekilled with the Tappis if suspect not gonna take food or unsure because as they are commonly referred to, they are "teleporters" so I don't want to have to chase too long.

Latest posts