• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Decided on a small

Rmac88

3 Year Member
Colony of crickets for my T's. I was tired of going back and forth to the pet store just to buy 1 or 2 crickets, so I got a critter keeper and an apple, as well as some crickets :)

Here's hoping I can keep them alive long enough for this to be cost effective [emoji14]

80e82751189eaf2f2d5a32c4652629c0.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Meludox

3 Year Member
Good luck, crickets don't last long at all regardless of how well they're kept. I'd imagine they'll be gone in a week. I recommend you invest in a dubia roach colony. :)

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Yeeeaaahhhhh I suggested that to my wife, and she looked at me....and then the door.....and then back at me...

I got the point

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
Funny how women can react the same to certain things. I told my missus that i wanted to get a dubia colony. I explained all the pros and cons of dubias and crickets, obviously dubias won hands down. She wasnt convinced at all and told me i could take my Ts and my dubias and go to my mum and dads, or i could keep feeding them crickets haha. I will keep working on it, i usually get my own way eventually [emoji3]

Telson

3 Year Member
Y'all need to get more creative, call them beetles. Most woman don't pay attention to our "silly hobby" and wouldn't even notice;) Or you can explain to them that out of thousands of species of ****roach, only 5 or 6 are true pest species, and that dubia live in leaf litter, not sewers, and do not bite humans. Education goes a long way in dispelling prejudice sometimes. If you bring them around, feeding your spiders will become a simple matter. THEN you can get lats, the ultimate feeder roach for small and medium sized inverts;) Just uh, don't knock over the enclosure..:p

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just uh, don't knock over the enclosure..:p
now you say it :p I just had one fall off the top of the dubia container, same sterlite containers, stackable, figured it'd be okay right? then i got clumsy and it fell... I blame the Saturday night vodka. Anyway it didn't appear any had escaped, i didn't see any running away from the container and the lid was on and still latched down. But Sunday i found an adult male in my bathtub, so Savage got an in between feeding days snack. then found a mid sized one racing down the stairs yesterday morning when i got up, so Roj got a snack. haven't seen any since. I'm thinking the adult male escaped before and we just now caught him and the mid sized looked like he might have been small enough to squeeze through the vent holes around the top of the container.

My T's like when they escape, happy dances seem to be more active for the "snacks" :D

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I hate the little buggers but am not allowed to have roaches in the house as Rmac. I buy 3-400 at a time of various sizes. We always find a cricket or two in the house after feeding day. Not always sure how they get out but they just do. Especially the small ones. They are truly amazing jumpers! I have been successful in extending the life of the crickets by ensuring they have both dry food and plenty of water cubes/crystals. They generally die due to dehydration. Have extended the life long enough to feed over a two - three week period which is more than long enough.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Got soil in the cage? Otherwise they won't lay any eggs....

I would totally get some roaches, you could keep them in an opaque container and just not mention them to your lady, then as long as they don't get out she'd never really know! Or you could get some of the pet roaches that will make her more accepting of them as a whole, like some species of Therea or any Gromphadorhina, those two usually can help get Blattiphobes to face their fears. :)