• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

curley hair has a sac

kenney

3 Year Member
A curly hair i got at the hamberg show has layed eggs and has a sac now, its been about 2 weeks or so, had not planed for this as i was still reserching breeding..... so a few qestions
When do i need to pull the sac?
I dont have a mechanical mom, any easy way to make a setup to keep the sac warm when i do pull them?
Whats the temp and humidity rang for the sac ( i know bracnyphelmas are hardy but i assume eggs are alot diffrent)

Thanks

Thistles

3 Year Member
You don't absolutely have to pull the sac if you don't want to. It might be easier for you to let mom keep it all the way through. Remove the water dish so she doesn't dunk it. You don't need to make an "incubator" in the sense of keeping the eggs warm. Warmish room temperature is fine. I use little cups with coffee filter liners set inside a bigger container with soaking wet paper towels on the bottom. No mechanical mom is needed if you wait until the eggs are no longer eggs. If you're concerned about keeping things warm, you can use a 10-gallon fish tank with a few inches of water in it. Put an aquarium heater in the water and heat it to the desired temperature. This will create a microclimate inside the tank. You can then put your spider container in there. It will also be super humid. IMO this is more trouble than it's worth, but it's an option. You can also use a heat mat on the side of a big tank to a similar effect. MassExodus is right that most wait about a month, but maybe you should wait a few weeks longer just to ensure that you won't have to deal with eggs but rather with post-embryos or first instars.

Summary:
remove water dish
72ish + degrees is fine
Pull sac in a month from now (assuming it's 2 weeks old)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You could rearrange the words in this thread for something completely different as well as an accurate description for some of us.......LOL. let you all work out the new order for the thread title:D:D:D

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
lmao when i read the title that ur curly hair had a sac i thought u found out it was a male! lmao
Ha ha didn't see your post until I just posted mine. Scary we are on the same wave length.....lol

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You could rearrange the words in this thread for something completely different as well as an accurate description for some of us.......LOL. let you all work out the new order for the thread title:D:D:D
0H1z0Gr.gif
6UvbITF.gif

kenney

3 Year Member
Ya, no indacation whatsoever, had to be some sort of mistake which i cant belive someone would make....... think the dealer was eight legged plus...

Fortantly i have 17 trantulas, 1 black widow (came in a order of petsmart crickets, check chain store bug orders or you may die feedind your trantulas :eek:), a wolf spider, a okefenokee fishing spider, and 3 scorpians..... still scary to think though........ as i havent raised the tiny spiderlings, i like to start at a inch or 2 (spider size)

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Its not a mistake on the dealers end, when you buy a wild caught T there is always a chance that you will get a fertile egg sac. These new Nicaraguan Brachypelma albopilosum imports all seem to be very fertile and many have been dropping sacs

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
after about 30 days you can pull the sac and gently cut it open. my preferred incubator is simply; 16oz deli cup, moist coco fiber, 4-5 pin holes in the lid. If fertile(which is a definite possibility) they should be at least egg with legs and wont need a mechanical mom.

Latest posts