• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cricket Water

LauraS

3 Year Member
Hello,

I have purchased some crickets for my Ts and I'm not sure if the water I have is appropriate for a tarantula's food. The water crystals I have are Fluker's Cricket Quencher Calcium Fortified. I have heard that calcium is bad for tarantulas. Is this water ok to use or should I offer water in some other way? Sorry, this is my first time getting crickets for the tarantulas. I have only fed dubias and mealworms as of yet. What do you all feed your crickets?

Thanks!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello,

I have purchased some crickets for my Ts and I'm not sure if the water I have is appropriate for a tarantula's food. The water crystals I have are Fluker's Cricket Quencher Calcium Fortified. I have heard that calcium is bad for tarantulas. Is this water ok to use or should I offer water in some other way? Sorry, this is my first time getting crickets for the tarantulas. I have only fed dubias and mealworms as of yet. What do you all feed your crickets?

Thanks!
I think the crystals would probably be fine, as long as you don't fill your tarantulas water bowl with them :) But if you want you can just put pebbles in the crickets water bowl, with regular water, and you won't lose too many, maybe none at all, as long as they can reach the rocks if they fall into the deep end of the pool :)

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Laura, the crystals you have are great for a water source of feeders. I use them in the roach and cricket tubs.
The calcium "myth" has never been proven to be harmful to tarantulas. A looong time ago, a keeper fed "pinkies" on a regular basis, and losing one to a bad molt posted that it was the calcium content that was the culprit. Many species, in a natural environment, will feed on vertebrates. Where do you think the common name "bird eater" comes from?
Crickets, roaches and various larva ( worms ) are the main source of feeders commonly used by keepers today. I have yet to know of a tarantula species that won't eat crickets as a food source.
As far as keeping crickets, a container with pulp egg crate, a dish with water crystals and a food source is fine. My supplier is Water Gel Crystals, one pound of small dry crystals costs $18 including shipping, just an fyi. I feed mine crushed bran flakes, rolled oats, quartered potatoes/sweet potatoes and a slice of apple. 2 totes 12"X18"X10", one with pinheads to 1/2" the other with 1/2" to adult crickets and sustain 1K in each. Keeps them alive for nearly a month with about a 2% death rate.
I also breed B. lateralis roaches to use as feeders and trade with local keepers in the area. [emoji3]
Any other questions, feel free to post or PM me. I'm only getting on this forum, maybe, once a week here lately.

LauraS

3 Year Member
Ok, thanks. It is good to know that the calcium thing is a myth. :) Is it better to mix your own food for the feeders or to use the commercially prepared cricket food? Is one way more nutritious?

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Laura, the crystals you have are great for a water source of feeders. I use them in the roach and cricket tubs.
The calcium "myth" has never been proven to be harmful to tarantulas. A looong time ago, a keeper fed "pinkies" on a regular basis, and losing one to a bad molt posted that it was the calcium content that was the culprit. Many species, in a natural environment, will feed on vertebrates. Where do you think the common name "bird eater" comes from?
Crickets, roaches and various larva ( worms ) are the main source of feeders commonly used by keepers today. I have yet to know of a tarantula species that won't eat crickets as a food source.
As far as keeping crickets, a container with pulp egg crate, a dish with water crystals and a food source is fine. My supplier is Water Gel Crystals, one pound of small dry crystals costs $18 including shipping, just an fyi. I feed mine crushed bran flakes, rolled oats, quartered potatoes/sweet potatoes and a slice of apple. 2 totes 12"X18"X10", one with pinheads to 1/2" the other with 1/2" to adult crickets and sustain 1K in each. Keeps them alive for nearly a month with about a 2% death rate.
I also breed B. lateralis roaches to use as feeders and trade with local keepers in the area. [emoji3]
Any other questions, feel free to post or PM me. I'm only getting on this forum, maybe, once a week here lately.
A looong time ago, this scientist saw a tarantula snatch a bird and chow it down.... :D:p:D

Latest posts