• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cricket breeder for $20?

spider4747

3 Year Member
I've seen these cricket breeders for $20 at a few pet stores recently, does anyone have a review on the ease of set up? Does it come with eggs? How do you handle the maintenance of the enclosure?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you're going to do a colony i'd go with roaches. They live longer and are a better food source than crickets.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i'd hope they're self breeding. i can't imaging trying to breed them ;) Google it, tons of info out there on the cricket breeding kits. I've never used one, i can't stand crickets and will only get them to use as a change from the roaches here and there.

Meludox

3 Year Member
You can breed crickets by keeping an enclosure of adult crickets with a small bowl of dirt in there. The females will lay eggs in the dirt and you can harvest them and have pinhead crickets. I would look up a more extensive guide to this method though, I don't know much about it other than that.

spider4747

3 Year Member
These actually sell quite nicely if you find someone to buy them. I'm watching youtube videos- outside of some temperature preferences you're on the spot, except to move the box of dirt containing the eggs to a new container. Use multiple soil containers for a larger yield. Transfer, feed them apples, veggies, fruits, dry dog/cat food for gut loading.

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
I just tried breeding crickets for the first time and I have to say it is easier than it sounds lol... I just stuck a shallow bowl with moist substrate (plantation soil) and kept a heat pad under the enclosure with a towel between the pad and enclosure so it didn't get too hot and after about two weeks I put the shallow bowl into a different enclosure and kept it moist and on the heat pad for another two weeks and now I have about a thousand or more crickets lol

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just tried breeding crickets for the first time and I have to say it is easier than it sounds lol... I just stuck a shallow bowl with moist substrate (plantation soil) and kept a heat pad under the enclosure with a towel between the pad and enclosure so it didn't get too hot and after about two weeks I put the shallow bowl into a different enclosure and kept it moist and on the heat pad for another two weeks and now I have about a thousand or more crickets lol
its tempting ~8-legz~ except for ....crickets.......I hate crickets....*curses her picky T's*
Of my 14 spiders, My albo will eat a dubia, everyone else thinks I'm trying to poison them .

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
its tempting ~8-legz~ except for ....crickets.......I hate crickets....*curses her picky T's*
Of my 14 spiders, My albo will eat a dubia, everyone else thinks I'm trying to poison them .
Only the GBB will eat the dubai in my collection. But then again he'll try and eat anything that touches his web, even a make up brush :) Everything else i have runs away from the dubai, even the genic won't eat them and they're a 1/4 of his size lol.

Meludox

3 Year Member
Only the GBB will eat the dubai in my collection. But then again he'll try and eat anything that touches his web, even a make up brush :) Everything else i have runs away from the dubai, even the genic won't eat them and they're a 1/4 of his size lol.
I can't believe your GBB eats the entire city of Dubai! :p

swimbait

3 Year Member
Roaches are a much better investment. No noise, minimal smell, longer lifespan, better food source. You will have to clean crickets constantly to keep up on the smell. However if your heart is set on crickets, then it seems you've gotten the gist of quality advice so far. They do the work for you just provide some sort of soil for them to lay eggs. You said you have 2 tarantulas and a scorpion? I see it as more work than its worth personally, but to each their own

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Roaches are a much better investment. No noise, minimal smell, longer lifespan, better food source. You will have to clean crickets constantly to keep up on the smell. However if your heart is set on crickets, then it seems you've gotten the gist of quality advice so far. They do the work for you just provide some sort of soil for them to lay eggs. You said you have 2 tarantulas and a scorpion? I see it as more work than its worth personally, but to each their own

Agreed, not really worth a colony for that few predators.

my 9 are barely making a dent in the roach colony i started, and i don't think that's going to take for a while yet as there's only 2 females and a single male adult. Waiting on some of the larger ones to mature to see what sex they are. I'll have to feed off any more males and keep the females.

swimbait

3 Year Member
Agreed, not really worth a colony for that few predators.

my 9 are barely making a dent in the roach colony i started, and i don't think that's going to take for a while yet as there's only 2 females and a single male adult. Waiting on some of the larger ones to mature to see what sex they are. I'll have to feed off any more males and keep the females.

I would just recommend purchasing like 10 or more females. It's kinda hard, not impossible, to start a colony with one female. Especially if you feed off all the males

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would just recommend purchasing like 10 or more females. It's kinda hard, not impossible, to start a colony with one female. Especially if you feed off all the males
Yeah i'm going to order a colony starter on payday and set up another tub for them. This group i'm just going to feed off while that other colony does it's thing and provides me feeders to use later.

coulda sworn i bought the last ones from Jamies but i don't see them on her website now. Ideas where i can get a starter colony of lateralis? I've checked jamies, KTBG, NEHerps, and Rainbow mealworms, nothing yet.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
they have large ones. Guess i'll have to order a batch of those and set them off to the side to mature and start a colony. Bugs me i can't find the starter colony i was looking at a while ago. Must have sold them all i guess.

Edit: So good news for those that have had lateralis escape. I always thought they would breed at room temp but they, like dubia, need 85+F temps to breed. So it looks like i need to get a heating pad after all to start my colony.

Last edited:

swimbait

3 Year Member
they have large ones. Guess i'll have to order a batch of those and set them off to the side to mature and start a colony. Bugs me i can't find the starter colony i was looking at a while ago. Must have sold them all i guess.

Edit: So good news for those that have had lateralis escape. I always thought they would breed at room temp but they, like dubia, need 85+F temps to breed. So it looks like i need to get a heating pad after all to start my colony.

Who told you that, I've seen dubia reproduce well below 85 degrees. Maybe not as fast as they would in higher temps but they don't NEED 85. Granted most houses are going to be too cold for them to survive in, household depending, but I wouldn't say it's not possible for them to reproduce in a house.

Latest posts