• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Couple Q's about Larry

Smugleaf

3 Year Member
I'm back!!

I love Scary Larry so much, I am so happy I bought him. He's so cute, and he's growing exceptionally fast! I'm seeing him be more and more active- I watched him plug up his burrow a few nights ago and I'm patiently waiting for him to molt for the fourth time since I got him in late June.

My first question seems kinds dumb. I've noticed that a lot of the time when I come home, I won't see larry at first. He does have a little window dug out of his burrow though, and after I've sat down for a few minutes, I'll look over and there he is pressed up against the plastic. Sometimes he's standing on his back legs (right now he's stuck against the side just chillin'), other times he's on all eight and just kinda watching me. Is he just curious? Or maybe does he recognize me/my presence and associates it with food? I have also noticed he runs and hides when I open his container but immediately comes back to the burrow's opening and waits for a cricket to fall in.

My other question is, when should I think about upgrading him? He's in a 1qt deli cup right now, and he keeps building himself higher and higher ceilings. He looooooves to pile the dirt on top of his water dish.

Also, he has three lighter spots under his abdomen. is this normal? He's a Honduran Curly Hair.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
I don't know why your Brachypelma albopilosum acts like this. It's possible that he runs in his hide when he senses a movement in the room (i.e. when you enter), and then comes out when he doesn't feel any danger anymore. Or maybe is he just curious? What is sure is that Brachypelma have poor eyesight: they can distinguish day from night, and senses some movements because of the shadows, but nothing more with their eyes. But they can feel a lot with their hairs which are almost like eyes: movements, pressure, vibrations, etc. They feel all of this very well.

About size and upgrading, I cannot answer you as I don't use these measures (in Switzerland!). If you can give me the size of your slings (diagonal leg span) and the diameter of the cup, maybe I could help...

The lighter spots under the abdomen are the (book) lungs. He should have four actually...

Smugleaf

3 Year Member
He usually is in his burrow- has has hollowed out almost the entire bottom of his enclosure. It's really quite impressive, he has more space in his apartment than I do in mine!

There are plenty of times recently I have come home and he has been out and about and has not run away from sending my movement. Even when I sit down at my desk. He will sometimes retreat into his burrow slowly after a bit and then he dies the same old hangs out beside me. It's very interesting.

This morning I checked on him to see if he has molted yet (he hasn't) and when I removed the cap from his cup to mist, he actually moved closer to me/where his burrow entrance typically is rather than bolting and hiding in the back of it.

Either way, he's such a cutie ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I can't get a solid measurement on him. I have included a few recent photos of him to give some idea of his size.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 15

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Adorable.
Mine doesn't hide anymore and I honestly miss that little guy behavior. Still digs though. Enclosure is down to the bottom on one side angled at about 45° nearly to the lid on the other side.
They stay out more and more as they get larger. Mine ('Zombie' due to its color at a half inch lol) hangs out close to where I am sitting. I think once they feel secure they're simply nosy little buggers.
Absolutely no question my favorite slings ever.

Latest posts