• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Concerned about fasting

Too thin?

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Pants__cat

3 Year Member
This is my first sling and only my second T (probably not my best choice but it was more cost effective)

It's eaten two or three times since I purchased it in May

I've been feeding it small crickets but the last time it ate was in July and I'm beginning to worry
I know they can go a long time without eating but I don't know how skinny is too skinny and when I should start worrying

Do you think it's too thin? (G. Rosea)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 149
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 134

Redacted

3 Year Member
This is my first sling and only my second T (probably not my best choice but it was more cost effective)

It's eaten two or three times since I purchased it in May

I've been feeding it small crickets but the last time it ate was in July and I'm beginning to worry
I know they can go a long time without eating but I don't know how skinny is too skinny and when I should start worrying

Do you think it's too thin? (G. Rosea)
In my opinion, yes. Maintain temps in upper 70s. At that stage, should be good for a meal every 7-10 days. Also, move him to a 3" high clear deli cup with lots of ventilation, upper sides and lid. Spray part of a side inside every 5-7 days with water for a drink. Substrate should be dry.

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
In my opinion, yes. Maintain temps in upper 70s. At that stage, should be good for a meal every 7-10 days. Also, move him to a 3" high clear deli cup with lots of ventilation, upper sides and lid. Spray part of a side inside every 5-7 days with water for a drink. Substrate should be dry.

I second this. Can't really see enclosure but looks like glass, you want a really small enclosure for a sling that size.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very very thin. Try different prey items. In addition to temps and a smaller enclosure It might simply be a picky eater. Offer pre-killed, and live, try pin heads, small dubia, wax or mealworms, (crush head on mealworms or give a part of one) got to be something to trigger this baby's eating..once we figures out what it's taste of choice is then we can fatten this baby up. :)

Pants__cat

3 Year Member
Thanks everyone, I went out and bought another heater today and am moving it back into a smaller enclosure, fingers crossed

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Thanks everyone, I went out and bought another heater today and am moving it back into a smaller enclosure, fingers crossed
U want an enclosure that's about 3x its leg span, or smaller. Also like stated vent all around the top sides and not the lid. Get a small water bowl. Use a water bottle cap. Lastly, waaay too thin. Try a few different prey items. Crush a baby crickets head and place it close to the T. It may be stressed about larger crickets if ur using them. If they don't work, try meal or super worms, chopped into small pieces of course. This species does fast, but as a sling it's not normal. It should be eating once a week so it can be healthy and molt at a good pace.

Latest posts