• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Comparison of G. rosea & G. porteri stridulatory organs

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Supposedly the main taxonomical difference between the two species is that G. porteri has more well defined lyra on the retrolateral palpal coxa and prolateral coxa of leg I than G. rosea. Looking at these 2 it does seem that way.

*EDIT* It seems that people have been using this thread in a lot of Facebook groups every time the difference between G. rosea and G. porteri comes up as some sort of definitive proof. So just for some clarification, it is not part of some taxonomic work by either myself, Steve Dye, Colin Wilson or any other name that is being banded about. It is not even saying that this is a stable character to use. It merely shows the difference between stridulating organs of one red female and one grey/brown female which was a character that was getting thrown around the hobby at the time (I'm guessing based on Andrew Smith's article in the BTS journal Vol 6 No.1 as well as what was said in lectures by Fernando Perez Miles and Pedro Avaria).
Sorry but it is not the holy grail of posts that you are looking for to define the 2 species.
Just out of interest, I did compare 5 more specimens about 3 years ago (3 "porteri", 2 "rosea" iirc) and found that the lyra on the prolateral coxa of leg I was very variable between the two but that the "porteri" specimens all had more lyra on the retrolateral palpal coxa than any of the "rosea".

G. rosea

Retrolateral palpal coxa
111_6469_00.jpg

Prolateral coxa leg I
111_6471_00.jpg

G. porteri
Retrolateral palpal coxa
117_6825.jpg

Prolateral coxa leg I
117_6827.jpg

G. rosea used
DSCF4394.jpg

G. porteri used
DSCF0013-3.jpg

Last edited:

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very interesting. If I'm being honest, I stopped trying to keep up with Grammostola Taxonomy a while back. I still call Chacos "Auerostriata".
Seeing the difference in physical charecteristics is definitely intriuging though hm.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very cool pictures! Interesting to see the differences, even though I'm so inexperienced still! Thanks for sharing!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Nice shots Plessey. You've got quite the camera. This makes a nice guide for folks searching for distinct differences.

Latest posts