• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Club Avicularia/Avics

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My Gigas just had its first meal. It's like a little jumping spider, missed the first time but then got it. It's such a cutie.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
Something I feel I have had enough of,certain people in the hobby assuming something which is far from true. The genus in question,obviously Avicularia. They will say,please keep substrate dry cross ventilation etc. I agree on cross ventilation,I agree on a place to climb build a web etc. Where I really get angry is,please no wet substrate only a water dish ??? That is pure BS,8 out of 12 months their natural habitat is almost flooded and obviously using logic the amazon etc have intense dense forests which causes a natural habitat with high humidity. I just don't get how people draw up conclusions,when the opposite is easily searchable like rainfall etc which is scientifically documented.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I totally agree. I keep water crystals at bottom of enclosure inder the dirt to hold in moisture. I frequentlt water mine. It stays jungle-like.
Well the conclusion to the episode,I was told that by the person he has more specimens than I do etc etc so he knows the correct way. In may last sentence I wrote back something in the effect of,thank you for making me realize I make my Avics survive the wrong way imagine how much better I am then them and when I have to use the so called correct way how good I'd be.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just food for thought, would the same habitat in the wild be needed for captive bred specimens?
Hello
Not exact same,since you'd need to add say a rainforest rain sun etc. That's is why we simulate an environment,not one cage is natural it's all artificial. Wild or captive bred,genetics are still the same meaning the specimen is still adapted the same as the wild one.

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
Well the conclusion to the episode,I was told that by the person he has more specimens than I do etc etc so he knows the correct way. In may last sentence I wrote back something in the effect of,thank you for making me realize I make my Avics survive the wrong way imagine how much better I am then them and when I have to use the so called correct way how good I'd be.
LOL

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My Avic Versicolor is molting at the moment. It's still quite grey and not quite finished yet. I'll update later, hopefully I'll manage to get the shed skin out of its web (right at the bottom).
It was really active throughout the day yesterday, still doing the odd touch up webbing on its tube, so I had a feeling it would go soon.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My Avic Versicolor is molting at the moment. It's still quite grey and not quite finished yet. I'll update later, hopefully I'll manage to get the shed skin out of its web (right at the bottom).
It was really active throughout the day yesterday, still doing the odd touch up webbing on its tube, so I had a feeling it would go soon.
Hope all goes well,post a PIC when done.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
All went well, 8 legs counted.
I was hoping to sex the molt and tried soaking it like described, but it just ripped into small pieces. Maybe I used too much detergent?
Never mind, maybe next time.
I can't get any decent picture of the spider yet neither as he/she is still hiding in her tube web. I could see a hind of reddish hair on its abdomen.
IMG_5561_zps0fd86dcc.jpg

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
All went well, 8 legs counted.
I was hoping to sex the molt and tried soaking it like described, but it just ripped into small pieces. Maybe I used too much detergent?
Never mind, maybe next time.
I can't get any decent picture of the spider yet neither as he/she is still hiding in her tube web. I could see a hind of reddish hair on its abdomen.
IMG_5561_zps0fd86dcc.jpg
Hopefully soon it will emerge,and then another stunning display of prominent blue.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
2 more pics of my Avic having its first post molt meal. It jumped right out of its web tube to catch the prey and tackled it with so much enthusiasm it actually fell over, lol.
IMG_5570_zps897c2bae.jpg

IMG_5571_zps01e7466b.jpg

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My A. Versi when I first got it
IMG_5016_zpsb2ddf795.jpg

Latest photo. The size difference is hard to see due to the different angle and focal distance
IMG_5577_zps56e86e91.jpg

Latest posts