• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chinese mantis (Tenodera sinensis) babies!

Bugmom

3 Year Member
They just emerged tonight. There's at least 70 of them. They'll cannibalize some, but I'm still going to be left with a lot of mantids. This was one of those oothecas you can buy either via the mail or at a gardening supply store. I paid like $7. I thought it would be a neat and inexpensive intro to keeping and raising mantids.

I took the ootheca out of the fridge on 1-2-16, and they emerged tonight, 1-21-16. So about three weeks of steady temps between 74 and 78 degrees.

Things I learned: Mantids can JUMP! They're as bad as crickets! They emerge basically "ready to roll" and have no problem walking, climbing, jumping, etc. right away. These aren't more than a few hours old.

24237168060_b44287dbe6_b.jpg

24532712965_61cc13e232_b.jpg

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Beautiful, one of my favorite insects, my yard used to be overrun with the smaller brown mantis, since we rebuilt we don't see them anymore, I'm wondering if I got a couple ooths and let them hatch this spring if we could repopulate again lol

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That is so awesome..babies! You can get ooths from gardening supply stores? I have big green mantids that I see in my yard, but not often. Maybe I'll look into getting an ooth and repopulating my area like Kymura and Entity.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Why not! they are so freaking cool and they almost seem to like humans sometimes. I used to feed them when i was a kid in the yard playing. It was funny. I would catch a bug and hand it to them and they would keep looking at me and then back at the bug like "ok whats the catch man." lol and then eventually take it from me slowly. definitely one of my favorites bugs!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Why not! they are so freaking cool and they almost seem to like humans sometimes. I used to feed them when i was a kid in the yard playing. It was funny. I would catch a bug and hand it to them and they would keep looking at me and then back at the bug like "ok whats the catch man." lol and then eventually take it from me slowly. definitely one of my favorites bugs!
Lol, the way they turn their heads and look at you is very cool. I wish they had a longer life span..

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Isnt it funny in a way how so many folks love and adore the mantis,
yet hate our T's!
But I mean to be fair, they can bite the blood out of you
but folks are naturally drawn to the vicious little things :p

Bugmom

3 Year Member
That is so awesome..babies! You can get ooths from gardening supply stores? I have big green mantids that I see in my yard, but not often. Maybe I'll look into getting an ooth and repopulating my area like Kymura and Entity.
That's where I got mine, but you can also order them online.

Bugmom

3 Year Member
Oh, and as an update: Not many losses yet, but I have seen a few headless mantids in the big enclosure. They're eating flightless fruit flies, but I'm not feeding them often because I do want some cannibalization to happen. Sounds mean, I know, but nobody needs 70 mantids, and culling the herd is what happens in nature with these ooths. The weaker ones get ate. Circle of life and all that.

Latest posts