• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chilean rose - Soil moist or dry?

Carsten

3 Year Member
Hi,

I am newbie in the T hobby. I have tried to find information on what are the best soil conditions for a chilean rose enclosure. However, all info I found was more in general but never to the species directly and some suggest to have it moist (spray at least every other day) while other suggest to keep it more on the dry side.

Humidity is not so much of an issue (I think) because I live in Malaysia and I keep a small water container inside the enclosure. So what would be the best condition for my rose hair? Any professional advise?

Thanks in advance.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi,

I am newbie in the T hobby. I have tried to find information on what are the best soil conditions for a chilean rose enclosure. However, all info I found was more in general but never to the species directly and some suggest to have it moist (spray at least every other day) while other suggest to keep it more on the dry side.

Humidity is not so much of an issue (I think) because I live in Malaysia and I keep a small water container inside the enclosure. So what would be the best condition for my rose hair? Any professional advise?

Thanks in advance.
Hello and Welcome
G.Rosea are from dryer areas,thus dry substrate will suite it best. You can add a water dish,and no misting is needed at all. Just avoid sharp pointy objects,and try to add 3/4 substrate to the enclosure and a small hide that is suitable to its size.

Carsten

3 Year Member
Thank you for the fast reply. That helps me.

I have setup everything as you suggested but my T has never used her small hide and I have her now for 2 months. Always resting outside.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you for the fast reply. That helps me.

I have setup everything as you suggested but my T has never used her small hide and I have her now for 2 months. Always resting outside.
As long as the tarantula is eating and has a fat abdomen,you have nothing to worry about. Not all specimens will actually use their hides,it is just an added benefit we give them.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Hello and Welcome
G.Rosea are from dryer areas,thus dry substrate will suite it best. You can add a water dish,and no misting is needed at all. Just avoid sharp pointy objects,and try to add 3/4 substrate to the enclosure and a small hide that is suitable to its size.
+1 couldn't agree more. Also, these are known for refusing to eat for extended periods of times, many months in fact. As long as it has a plump rump don't get too worried. [emoji4] Another characteristic, they will seem very docile then for no reason or after a molt will become very defensive. I've 7 G. porteri/rosea and at some point their attitude has changed from good to bad and vice versa. [emoji3]

DewDrop

3 Year Member
Well, right now I have a spiderling. I have it on a potting medium mainly of peat moss, with some aquarium gravel in the bottom. I will change the substrate to a cleaned dried Spanish moss with aquarium gravel in the next few days. I might try adding a little live sand, in the corner of the enclosure for a little added salt water humidity and a place for it to go or for looks if anything. Still reading up on live sand before I try it. I use aquarium salt and make a gallon of water to keep on hand to keep the substrate damp in efforts to help keep it clean and provide the spider with a way to get that electrolyte if it needs it. Aquarium salt water so far hasn't bothered my other spider, in it's substrate in it's enclosure Keeping fresh water in a small dish is fine, however my spiderling is too young right now for anything other than prey, but it gets a soda cap full of freshwater anyway in it's enclosure. I like the spider's environment to look nice and go with the room the spider is in and as long as it is good for the spider I don't mind skimping on looks. As far as a hide, just making it a little place in the substrate for it to crawl in if it wants is fine for me.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
+1 couldn't agree more. Also, these are known for refusing to eat for extended periods of times, many months in fact. As long as it has a plump rump don't get too worried. [emoji4] Another characteristic, they will seem very docile then for no reason or after a molt will become very defensive. I've 7 G. porteri/rosea and at some point their attitude has changed from good to bad and vice versa. [emoji3]
opened my porteri's enclosure to drop her a roach, she rushed it, saw it wasn't a cricket turned and gave me an exposed fang threat, I laughed like a fool.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
All day, I have been told, on forum, that G. Rosea needs a dry environment. Still, I keep the humidity at, at least 60 percent. Just keep asking and describe the environment you have it in, eventually the questions get answered matter of fact and disputing is ridiculous. Still, do read what is published about tarantula husbandry online and in books.