• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cheap Husbandry Options.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm gonna make a nice thrifty thread here, and if you have anything you'd like to add feel free.
My typical enclosure cost is $10 or less, here's how.
1st your going to need some substrate. this is either the most expenssive part of the enclosure, or the cheapest depending on how you look at it.
I start with buying a 50lb bag of Peat Moss from Loews for $10. I also buy a couple bags of Eco Earth, $8.99 each, and mix the two together. This provides me with a solid year or more of substrate for my well over 100 tarantulas. If you only keep a few , or 1, a bag or two of Eco Earth works just fine.

Next is the Enclosure itself. There are quite a few options here.
If your housing slings I like to use Pro-Kal 32oz tall deli cups. I use less substrate for Arboreals and More for Terrestrials. You can find these at Costco,Sams,Smart and final, and online in packs of 25 for $5 and a pack of 50 lids for $5 so $10 in total for 25 enclosures.
For Juvinile to Adults I like the basic plastic shoebox, and sweater box. easily obtainable for $4 or less at any Grocery store.
For Arboreal, or small burrowers, I just go with deeper Sweater Boxes usually under $5.
For very large Ts , and Large burrowers, I like 10-15 gallon totes, that you can find at any grocery store.
Be sure to drill or burn holes into the side of your enclosure, not the top. Heat and Humidity is easily lost through the top.

Now you need a Hide
For Terrestrials, I use an appropriately sized plastic flower pot that can be found at any hardware store.
They usually run $2 or less, and I cut them in half and bury them in the substrate. That's two Hides for $2.
For arboreals, I like cork bark, but that can be expenssive. up to $50 for very large pieces.PVC pipe is a cheaper option. Unfortunately It's not asthetically pleasing. You can also go out side and find a nice piece of wood. Just make sure to bake it at 350 for 20 minutes 1st, and let it cool down over night.

Water Bowls are a must for any Juvie to adult Tarantula.
In my experience, 4" flower pot saucers are a great option and only cost a quarter each. If you have a Blondi (or another high humidity T), go with the 6" for .50.
small portion cups are also good for smaller Ts you can get a pack of 50 for $4.00

That's it! that's a solid basic enclosure.

Substrate:
Peat Moss 50lb for $10, Eco Earth $8.99 a bag or $3.99 a brick
Enclosure:
Plastic shoebox,sweaterbox, or deep sweater box $5 or less
Hides:
Plastic Flower pots $2 or less. Pvc pipe $varies, Cork Bark $varies.
Water Dishes:
4" plant saucer $.25 6" $.50 Portion cups 50ct $3.99

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ProKal 32 oz deli cups
encloseures001.jpg

ShoeBox
encloseures003.jpg

SweaterBox
encloseures002.jpg

Deep Sweater Box
encloseures005.jpg

10 gallon Totes.
encloseures004.jpg

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Wow, that's quite a set up Kenny!

Now I feel better about wanting to put my slings in mini sized Kritter Keepers. Thanks for the awesome info.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Wow, that's quite a set up Kenny!

Now I feel better about wanting to put my slings in mini sized Kritter Keepers. Thanks for the awesome info.

Kritter Keepers aren't the best enclosures. They don't hold heat or humidity well. They're fine for dry species , but not tropical species.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
.25" spider in a average size delicup... not exactly gonna stand out.
This Horned Baboon is 1/2"
slingsetc004.jpg

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, looks like I over did it on critter keepers lol
If anybody needs a couple pm me and I'll hook you up. (Brand new , never used)
Good for Grammastola,Brachypelma,Aphonopelma,Crickets and roaches
111412001.jpg

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Holy crap! Even though those things aren't terribly expensive it still must have cost a small fortune for that many!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Holy crap! Even though those things aren't terribly expensive it still must have cost a small fortune for that many!

I tried to buy 5 small and 10 medium some how I double mis typed and bought 25 and 20. and wasn't even paying attention when I paid :mad:
Oh well.. at least I won't need KKs any time soon lol

Latest posts