• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chaco Golden Knee Sling Worries

SamuraiLawyer

3 Year Member
I got my 1/2" grammostola pulchripes on April 3, 2014, and it looks to be 2nd instar. It is now May 18, 2014 with no molt, though the other species I got at the same time have all molted. I am worried about it, because unlike the others, it has not been a good eater and it is s-l-o-w as molasses. From care sheets, I know that it is a slow grower and a slow mover, so while I shouldn't be worried, I am. Are there any chaco golden knee owners that have raised the babies from this young who can put me at ease? What is the typical time between molts at this age?

SamuraiLawyer

3 Year Member
I should say that typical temps have ranged from 72 degrees Fahrenheit to 78. One pinhead cricket is pre-killed and offered each Tuesday and Friday, but they are often refused. I mist one side of the enclosure when I feed.

SamuraiLawyer

3 Year Member
Yes. All the prey I offer generally starts out live. The chaco runs from it. After an hour or so I kill it and put the carcass close to the sling, then leave them overnight. The next day the cricket looks just like I left it.

LeahThomas

3 Year Member
Oh jeez. These little buggers. My first T was a G. pulchripes sling, only a tad bigger than yours. As a new keeper, I was EXTREMELY paranoid about its behavior and always worried about it. It didn't eat much, and at one point stopped eating for about two months. After having her for about 3.5 months, she FINALLY molted. After about a week I tried feeding her and she was a pig. After that molt she jumps on everything I throw in the cage, her abdomen is HUGE and she is now on a diet.

These guys take foreeeeeeever to molt. But once they do, you really can see a big difference. They don't molt often but the size difference after molts is much more noticeable than some of the other species I have. Anyway, just trust that your T is doing what's best for itself. They know what they're doing. Just make sure that part of the substrate is wet. When my G. pulchripes went on its pre-molt fast, she drank water from the substrate like crazy. As long as it isn't in a death curl or looking like it has a shrunken abdomen, it'll be just fine :) Good luck!

Last edited:

SamuraiLawyer

3 Year Member
Thank you, Leah. I needed that. :)

It's so small and fragile and so still. Sometimes I touch the opisthosoma with a piece of floss just to make sure it's still alive. But said opisthosoma shows no signs of shrinking, so I will continue to watch and hope for the best.

LeahThomas

3 Year Member
Ok. I just noticed everyone's signatures. What is the whole 0.0.0 code? Let the rookie into the secret. :)

x.o.o.= male
o.x.o.= female
o.o.x.= unsexed

Also, try not to disturb your T too much. Unless it's in a death curl, there's no reason to poke and prod to make sure it's alive. That will just stress it out, which is a no no especially if it's in premolt!

SamuraiLawyer

3 Year Member
Sigh. It's been a day and a half since the molt, and if anything, this tiny little chaco sling looks SMALLER. This little one gives me fits.

LeahThomas

3 Year Member
It'll stay scrunched up for a bit while its vulnerable and scared, so it probably looks smaller. After a molt, the abdomen shrinks a decent amount as well. Don't worry!

SpiderMochi

3 Year Member
I love G.Pulchripes! I named mine Kyojin and I got it when it was a sling too! and to be honest, I was constantly worried about mine as well. Little dude was also scrunched during the day. But I would catch it wigglin around at night. It was a picky eater at first but after a couple molts, it would take to its food more cuz I guess the bigger size made it comfortable? It put my mind at ease after it started eating normal. I believe as slings they are more scared and defensive. Here is a pic of mine now! From a tiny thumbnail sling to a little bit bigger than a quarter!
Btw yes it is missing a leg. <_< not sure how it happened....

Attachments

• WP_20140524_19_53_23_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140524_19_53_23_Pro.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 471
  • WP_20140524_20_18_17_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140524_20_18_17_Pro.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 488

Shoeasaurus

3 Year Member
please help:eek:

My chaco golden knee :T:has not eaten for over a week now!!!!
I try giving her a medium cricket everyday-but she is not interested:(

I would personally appreciate it if someone came up with a solution!!:rolleyes:

Telson

3 Year Member
please help:eek:

My chaco golden knee :T:has not eaten for over a week now!!!!
I try giving her a medium cricket everyday-but she is not interested:(

I would personally appreciate it if someone came up with a solution!!:rolleyes:
Lol, did you read this old thread at all? :p

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have read it Telson, however I was wondering if there are other reasons...o_O
pictures would help.

solution = leave it alone.

Feeding it daily is stressing it out. Give it a couple weeks and try again. If it doesn't take the food then, wait until it molts and don't disturb it, just keep the water dish (hopefully it has one) full. A week or 2 after it molts try feeding it again.

Latest posts