• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Carnivorous plants

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Along with my usual food items that I've worked with these past two years, I will now be diving into carnivorous plants. For the most part I know what to keep an eye on.

Does anyone have experience working with them and are there any lesser known tips I should know?

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have some experience. All Bad unfortunately. Not sure why but can't keep the buggers alive? Keep us posted as I, for one, could use the tips. Thanks.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have some experience. All Bad unfortunately. Not sure why but can't keep the buggers alive? Keep us posted as I, for one, could use the tips. Thanks.
One of the first things I learned when researching is DO NOT use potting soil or topsoil as well as fertilizer as that is a death sentence. Not to mention you can't use plain old tap water, it has to have distilled or purified water as minerals are also killers of carnivorous plants

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Agreed. I tried to keep Venus fly traps several times but always failed. Idk if it was because there wasn't an ample supply of food or what? Very ignorant; I was. I wouldn't mind keeping them, though but next time I will make sure I research more than just reading the little label that came with them at the store.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
One of the first things I learned when researching is DO NOT use potting soil or topsoil as well as fertilizer as that is a death sentence. Not to mention you can't use plain old tap water, it has to have distilled or purified water as minerals are also killers of carnivorous plants

Well there you have it! Tap water! That's what I was doing wrong!

Latest posts