• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Caring for our new B. albopilosum sling

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Pic of the new excavation, sorry for the glare
Fxvpy0mkH8HMqfQA-x_6Pc5vzo7bKUZhbbP0o4JzK5KUf75T1L9Ar3a7Ml00H3m9hm82qJMGobb9ucUva5RvLXw1fK00cQ2Rzlb1wuUIu2F_uowRmO7-c_3t5cXwUmukjqfZLX657CS74BTvvwF1J7izf3x0hLGJ73hF-FYz_D5444A_4cErw2b5J1pLtpObuN6-NKRjbL68JAGvTzHAm2vpx2jERrFprM8Tf99LsZawgSmIq510U2ag1emOHy6pK5l19GtUE7VGVrpjXWDOodb0GbthVgcX2u6YcaAFboU1eEehjWeO7zSsxGsecEa3Lr95jfrefS93W8Y4dMmGYFYQucl7nS5q7aBb-gdO0nZMT3Cf9JEh6oguL7lrR_5v-wQy-8LvYn49bBvaC_lpK33SZELqLuwGzCMLUIJmI3jyydb52c6Bre_wX6xp3690OLj25iFWbIJxDRQ48SpgO8XVxvm0ERmhBJoBN2-v_IOwQGwvRn9xlSJ-H9ssW4596vq2RRynldQPedO4u0840WgTTJpAtrz-TmP76xj5SyzN=w340-h603-no

There must be webbing in there to support the media otherwise I'm not sure how it doesn't collapse down on itself

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Our B. albopilosum has been doing well in our care and just molted a second time since we got it.

The molt however is inside the burrow, at the lowest point on the bottom of the enclosure, and I fear I will all but destroy the burrow removing it - do I need to remove it?

I don't want to stress the T out while it's just freshly molted so I'll wait a few days, but looking for advice here.
Thanks!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You may find it will push it out eventually, I know mine do.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Been a while since I've posted

Our B albopilosum has been doing well and I think it may be time to rehome it - it's more than 1/2 the size of the for print of its enclosure.

My question is do I take it to adult size housing now or a mid step enclosure?

Here's a pic
4ec68116626b790cb5ea19dfa1083241.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It definitely needs a bit more room. I moved mine into 11"L x 6.25" W x 4"H containers but they'll need bigger ones eventually.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It definitely needs a bit more room. I moved mine into 11"L x 6.25" W x 4"H containers but they'll need bigger ones eventually.
Thanks for the reply

Is it reasonable to move it to a 5" x 7" kritter keeper or should I go bigger already?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love Jamies and happily order from her, I dont love her sling enclosures but they work, I found the vents to be quite sharp where the tabs are and I tend to worry with them being so small and fragile so I coated mine with hot glue, no more sharp edges. Bottom line though, they do work and after adding a few small vent holes I do reuse them for smaller slings. They can comfortable stay in there a while if you get the tiny ones, Just wanted to heads up everyone about those tabs if you reuse the enclosures :p

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I love Jamies and happily order from her, I dont love her sling enclosures but they work, I found the vents to be quite sharp where the tabs are and I tend to worry with them being so small and fragile so I coated mine with hot glue, no more sharp edges. Bottom line though, they do work and after adding a few small vent holes I do reuse them for smaller slings. They can comfortable stay in there a while if you get the tiny ones, Just wanted to heads up everyone about those tabs if you reuse the enclosures [emoji14]
Ours is in one of her enclosures. Good point about the tabs.

Any thoughts about our rehome? Thanks

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't like to move them any more then I have to so I tend to go a little larger , Personally think the 5x7 sounds fine.
Just give it plenty of substrate :D I moved mine from the Jamies enclosure into a 32 oz storage container, seems perfectly happy in there.
It gave my albo plenty of room to burrow. And she digs caverns, I keep a piece of paper wrapped around the enclosure when I'm not peeking at her and she thinks shes hidden and Leaves the view area open ^^
here grabbed a couple quick images, shes over 2 inches dls now,
she was about an inch when I put her in there
KtPjuHOm.jpg

shes molt heavy here, soon maybe from the size of her lol
hAz0mAGm.jpg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks for the pics.

I was gonna fill substrate to about 2" fr the top - would a taller enclosure be better than wider?

Right now its cool here so I have the Jamie's enclosure in a glass bowl with a heating pad on the side. By moving the lid on the bowl I keep the temp at 80°F.

The glass bowl is about 7" tall and 9" round with straight sides. I could just use that as an enclosure bit I'll have to fashion a lid.

Why do you shroud your T's enclosure with paper?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I went taller as shes still a sling so burrowing a lot, once she no longer burrows and molts a couple times, I'll move her to her final enclosure.
She'll have way less height then,
for now though this works.

Zombie (My albo) was always digging away from where I could see her once she got a bit bigger,
I like to at least know shes alive and well so I wrapped a bit of paper over it, Figured I'd try it like the kids antfarm trick.
Seems to work. Did the same with a piece of styrofoam for my tiny slings, nestled their containers into it, they stay near the edges and I get to peek at them and make sure they are alive and well.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I went taller as shes still a sling so burrowing a lot, once she no longer burrows and molts a couple times, I'll move her to her final enclosure.
She'll have way less height then,
for now though this works.

Zombie (My albo) was always digging away from where I could see her once she got a bit bigger,
I like to at least know shes alive and well so I wrapped a bit of paper over it, Figured I'd try it like the kids antfarm trick.
Seems to work. Did the same with a piece of styrofoam for my tiny slings, nestled their containers into it, they stay near the edges and I get to peek at them and make sure they are alive and well.
Interesting. Our enclosure is so small at this point the t has no privacy from any angle!

Ours also like to burrow and is at the bottom of the enclosure more often than not.

Perhaps I'll look into a taller enclosure as a mid step, but I'll still have to heat it somehow.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Unless your house is absolutely frigid you don't have to heat it,
they can deal with a little temperature variation. From what everyone here says,
for the majority of them, if its comfortable for you, its comfortable for them

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sixty something is too cold for them, no?

We wear sweaters, they don't. Lol.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sixty something is too cold for them, no?

We wear sweaters, they don't. Lol.
60's I think is a bit cool for them. I'd keep it around mid 70s and they should be fine.

My B. albo does the same thing, burrows down to the bottom then hollows out the enclosure.

I'd get a bigger one, double his current size or so, and that will give him room to grow through a few molts, then upgrade again as needed until he's close to full size, then put him in his adult home. That's my plan anyway :)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Wow, two years, 3 months and 5 molts later and our B. Albopilosum, Fang, is about 5" and ready for yet another rehome to a larger enclosure.

We feed him/her one adult female roach a week but keep the water dish moist.

I think the next step will be its final rehome, I'm thinking a 5-gallon tank 2/3 full with cocoa fiber and maybe a cork bark hide.

Nothing too crazy since this furry thing digs and turns over all the substrate about once a month.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.
97087e4fea2d5e553323ef5334b9896d.jpg
679c45aca2d7d26392257af7a925d223.jpg

Current enclosure is a 10" x 6" x 6" plastic storage bin from Daiso, and for reference, the white and red thing in the pic is a quart yogurt container I cut and formed into a cave-type hide.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Latest posts