• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can't climb glass?

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
Yeah, I figured you would. I have heard a ton of people saying not to get them from pet stores, but not really an explanation as to why. Are they more likely to get a disease? or what?
I had plans on ordering an L. parahybana from someone on aracnoboards here in a few days. From what I've read, they are pretty easy to take care of, and can be kept in a regular tank with a screen top just fine. Your thoughts?

A lot of tarantulas that come from pet stores, are wild caught. Wild caught animals are more likely to be sick, dying, or carry parasites. Even if they aren't wild caught, most pet stores do not keep the tarantulas right so on top of the stress of being pulled out of their wild home, then they are being kept in an incorrect environment. It's just a lot of stress for them.

What T'S have you had? L.parahybana is easy to care for, voracious eaters! I would recommend not using a screen top, if it manages to get up to it, it could literally chew through it. Would the one you get be a sling or adult?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah, I figured you would. I have heard a ton of people saying not to get them from pet stores, but not really an explanation as to why. Are they more likely to get a disease? or what?
I had plans on ordering an L. parahybana from someone on aracnoboards here in a few days. From what I've read, they are pretty easy to take care of, and can be kept in a regular tank with a screen top just fine. Your thoughts?
Because the people at PetCo don't know jack-sh*t about tarantulas. [emoji14] This actually goes for the majority of pet stores. The people at these stores are often very uneducated when it comes to properly caring for a tarantula. They don't know the difference between arboreal and terrestrial or that captive care for tropical species differs from that of desert species. Nor do most of them really care. Half of the tarantulas in pet stores are wild caught adults that are kept in tiny crammed containers with no hiding place. Exotic pet stores normally specialize in fish and reptiles.

Edit: looks like I typed too slow.

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
Because the people at PetCo don't know jack-sh*t about tarantulas. [emoji14] This actually goes for the majority of pet stores. The people at these stores are often very uneducated when it comes to properly caring for a tarantula. They don't know the difference between arboreal and terrestrial or that captive care for tropical species differs from that of desert species. Nor do most of them really care. Half of the tarantulas in pet stores are wild caught adults that are kept in tiny crammed containers with no hiding place. Exotic pet stores normally specialize in fish and reptiles.

Edit: looks like I typed too slow.

Lol, ok I get it now. The one I have is about 1.5-2 inches.
Btw, I put her in a deli cup with a small water bowl/lid and she went straight for the water sat on top for a bit and then proceeded to try and climb up the side. She still can't climb but she is at least moving around and not staying balled up. Should I leave her in there overnight, and see how she's doing in the morning?

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
A lot of tarantulas that come from pet stores, are wild caught. Wild caught animals are more likely to be sick, dying, or carry parasites. Even if they aren't wild caught, most pet stores do not keep the tarantulas right so on top of the stress of being pulled out of their wild home, then they are being kept in an incorrect environment. It's just a lot of stress for them.

What T'S have you had? L.parahybana is easy to care for, voracious eaters! I would recommend not using a screen top, if it manages to get up to it, it could literally chew through it. Would the one you get be a sling or adult?

About 8 years ago I had an Avic, G. rosea, H. lividum, T. blondi, and P. murinus. We had to get rid of them and I am trying to get back into it. The last avic I had was easy, no special care was needed for her.
The L. parahybana I want to get is around 3 inches he said.

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
Ok guys, I just watched her walk to her water dish again and I think she drank for about 10 min straight. Hopefully this is a good sign. I will update when I wake up and check on her (if I get any sleep that is lol)

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok guys, I just watched her walk to her water dish again and I think she drank for about 10 min straight. Hopefully this is a good sign. I will update when I wake up and check on her (if I get any sleep that is lol)
I keep my fingers crossed, but I think it's a good sign that she went to drink on her own.

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
Goodmorning! Ok, so here are two pics from last night of her drinking, and then two from this morning, I thinks she's gonna make it.
So..... since she's doing so good in here, should I just fix it up and put some substrate and stuff in it and keep her in this for a while?
Also I will post a photo of her underside and maybe you guys could tell me if you think she really is a she, or a he. I have no idea, I was just calling her a she so I didnt't have to say "it" all the time lol.
0923150000-1[1].jpg
0923150002-1[1].jpg
0923151239[1].jpg
0923151238[1].jpg
0923150036c[1].jpg

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
Oh, I hope so. I just wanna thank you guys for all of your help and being there for me to be excited that she is getting better. Today she has started webbing and is much more spread out, not all balled up. She still hasn't eaten but I figure she will do that when she is ready.

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
Went to the store and bought a large spaghetti noodle container and had my husband drill a bunch of holes in it. I think she likes it because she has started webbing the bottom corner. Maybe getting ready for a molt?

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
Ok, guys. I found her molting last night when I got home from work, but she never flipped over for it. So I left her alone until this morning and this is what I got to pull out of the enclosure.
1001150837b.jpg
The rest is still attached to her, and she is just roaming around in there with it still attached. Should I be worried?
1001150838.jpg

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My GBB molted half upright once without problems. Apparently it's rare, but it happens. As for the attached molt (I can't really see much on the photo), can you try gently brushing the bits off with a wet cotton bud?

SasyStace

3 Year Member

I was just wondering what the outcome was for your Avic?

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
I was just wondering what the outcome was for your Avic?
Thank you for asking. She is doing really good except she has this huge white spot covering the spinnerets. I was thinking it might have just been build up from her molt being stuck to her for so long, but what do I know lol. She is walking around alot, she is very active, but not making webs or eating yet.

Latest posts