• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can't climb glass?

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
I just got a new avic two days ago and it can't climb the glass. It has been trying to but just keeps sliding off. Is this a skill acquired over time or can some just not climb glass? I have tried to find info on Bing but nothing is popping up. Please let me know your thoughts on that.
Also, it wont eat yet, is it just too soon in the new home for it to want to eat?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's probably in premolt, especially if it's refusing food. Avicularia will often have trouble climbing during premolt.

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
It's probably in premolt, especially if it's refusing food. Avicularia will often have trouble climbing during premolt.
Ok, so I just went and removed the food from the tank and misted the substrate to make sure its humid enough. She seems to be able to climb the log in there just fine though.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The substrate doesn't need to be moist. Don't fret over the humidity. This is the number one mistake beginners make with Avicularia. I keep my Avics on dry substrate and with plenty of ventilation. What's important with Avics is cross-ventilation. There should be lots of holes on the sides of the enclosure and not on the lid. Too much moisture creates a stuffy environment which often kills them.

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
The substrate doesn't need to be moist. Don't fret over the humidity. This is the number one mistake beginners make with Avicularia. I keep my Avics on dry substrate and with plenty of ventilation. What's important with Avics is cross-ventilation. There should be lots of holes on the sides of the enclosure and not on the lid. Too much moisture creates a stuffy environment which often kills them.
Ok, Ill make sure to leave it alone then. Hopefully he or she is just molting, and it's nothing to get scared over. Thanks =)

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
Ok I gotcha : )
Ok, so I may need some serious advice. I let her substrate dry out some, and kept the air flow up, but I think she is dying!! She still won't eat and she is in this curled up position but not upside-down. Isn't that what they call the "death curl"? I am kind of worried now. Idk if that's what is going on or if I'm just freaking out for no reason, and you seem very knowledgeable so I figured you could help. Would it help if I posted a pic so you can see?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A picture might help. How much cross- ventilation does it have? Hopefully you're not keeping it too moist.

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
Yeah, post a picture. Avics though do kinda look a little weird when in pre molt in my experience, they kinda keep their body tight to them almost. Just my observation though, never have read it from anyone else.

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
A picture might help. How much cross- ventilation does it have? Hopefully you're not keeping it too moist.
Well, I have to be honest, I was planning on buying another enclosure for her when I got extra money here in about a week and a half (one that she is actually supposed to be in, with plenty of cross-ventilation) but I figured the tank I already had would work for now and I have a light breeze blowing over it to help circulate the air. I may have had it too moist at first because of the eco-earth substrate I put in there but I let it dry out for a while before I put her in, and my house has been kept at about 75 degrees or so.
Could she just be stressed out since I only got her 4 days ago?

Attachments

• 0922151612a[1].jpg
    0922151612a[1].jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 639

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
Well, I have to be honest, I was planning on buying another enclosure for her when I got extra money here in about a week and a half (one that she is actually supposed to be in, with plenty of cross-ventilation) but I figured the tank I already had would work for now and I have a light breeze blowing over it to help circulate the air. I may have had it too moist at first because of the eco-earth substrate I put in there but I let it dry out for a while before I put her in, and my house has been kept at about 75 degrees or so.
Could she just be stressed out since I only got her 4 days ago?
Here's another one from the side.

Attachments

• 0922151647a[1].jpg
    0922151647a[1].jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 501

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't mean to make this situation any harder for you, but an Avic on the ground is not usually a good sign.

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
I have heard that before =( that's why it's worrying me. I just used a paint brush and gently got her to move to the water dish and she immediately lowered herself down like she was drinking and then stumbled away back to the same spot. Here is the pic, and then there is a screen cover on top. Notice her substrate is still drying out. Should I move her to a smaller deli cup like thing or will that just make it worse? She was so lively yesterday, I just don't get it. I guess maybe I'm just not cut out for having an Avic. The one I had years ago was so easy to take care of, although that one was about 4 inches when I got it, so maybe not as delicate.

Attachments

• 0922151804[1].jpg
    0922151804[1].jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 444

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
Do you have some sort of plastic container that is tall that you could turn into an enclosure? I bought this from Joanne's Fabric, it's meant to hold yarn. My pink toe thoroughly enjoys it! And the container was under 20 bucks.

It's possible your pink toe is in pre molt or was in pre molt before you got it and perhaps it does not have the energy to spin a web to molt in? I hope that's the case? But that's really just speculation.

Where did you get this tarantula and do you know it's history at all or what it was kept in prior?

Attachments

• 20150915_203212.jpg
    20150915_203212.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 381

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
Do you have some sort of plastic container that is tall that you could turn into an enclosure? I bought this from Joanne's Fabric, it's meant to hold yarn. My pink toe thoroughly enjoys it! And the container was under 20 bucks.

It's possible your pink toe is in pre molt or was in pre molt before you got it and perhaps it does not have the energy to spin a web to molt in? I hope that's the case? But that's really just speculation.

Where did you get this tarantula and do you know it's history at all or what it was kept in prior?

I got her from PetCo, so I do not know when she last molted or anything. I found a pretty large deli cup in my kitchen so I put some paper towels in there like a lot of people are saying to do on youtube and put her in it. She climbed up to the side of the paper towel so now I don't know what to think. Her legs aren't as curled as they were but maybe that's because she is just holding on to the towel?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As soon as I read "I got her from PetCo" I cringed a bit. I don't buy invertebrates from pet stores, especially not big chain stores. There are a lot of great online breeders who specialize in tarantulas (unlike pet stores) that you may want to look into.

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
As soon as I read "I got her from PetCo" I cringed a bit. I don't buy invertebrates from pet stores, especially not big chain stores. There are a lot of great online breeders who specialize in tarantulas (unlike pet stores) that you may want to look into.
Yeah, I figured you would. I have heard a ton of people saying not to get them from pet stores, but not really an explanation as to why. Are they more likely to get a disease? or what?
I had plans on ordering an L. parahybana from someone on aracnoboards here in a few days. From what I've read, they are pretty easy to take care of, and can be kept in a regular tank with a screen top just fine. Your thoughts?