• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

cannibalism among P metallica's and why I recommend separation

entomology

3 Year Member
"Cannibalism" among tarantulas has implications for the Dynamics of the species.

of terrestrial/arboreal food webs. Spiders are common, ubiquitous arthropod generalist

predators in most natural and managed terrestrial ecosystems. Thus, the relationship
of spiders that exhibit "cannibalism" is due to factors such as listed below:
food limitation
competition
population numbers
This has "direct bearing "on the survival parentage of the slings/spiders in question.
Here I will once again state we are dealing with "captive species" therefore there behavior is different in comparison to that of "wild " specimens. In a' controlled environment" one can apply protocols and implement them to ensure the survival rate is higher than the mortality rate. thus controlling temperature and heat making is favorable to the tarantula.
separating at instar eliminates cannibalism as they are now separated and there is no "proof" of them feeding of the weaker ones its out of pure hunger they do this behavior.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Can you please post a link to the article that you copied that info from, would like to have a look through it.
In future would you mind giving credit to the author and a link to the article please.
Thanks.

entomology

3 Year Member
Why I recommend separating at 2nd instar and here I am referring to "my own breeding experience". When the 1st instar slings and preparing for 2nd instar I have noticed whilst kept all together communally cannibalism occurs on a larger scale as by nature its instinctive cannibalism among tarantulas especially slings. They are house artificially in a controlled environment favorable to the specific species and with increased heat and humidity pushes the metabolic rate higher increasing their appetite to feed so hence they feed of each other not necessary the weaker ones. Science will always prevail as we evolve and change. intervention is a good idea to separate as then adequate food can be provided to separated individuals increasing the survival percentage.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
I found a link to the article, but can't seem to access it without paying a 32 dollars - A lot in our currency. :(

The article quoted above is from the Annual review of Entomology Vol. 51: 441-465 (Volume publication date January 2006)
The article is by David H. Wise from the Department of Entomology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky.

Just feel it is only right to give credit where credit is due. These scientists work hard to write these articles, and deserve the credit for them. A pity I can't read the whole thing though as it sounds quite interesting.

Anyway, back to the topic... :)

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I found a link to the article, but can't seem to access it without paying a 32 dollars - A lot in our currency. :(

The article quoted above is from the Annual review of Entomology Vol. 51: 441-465 (Volume publication date January 2006)
The article is by David H. Wise from the Department of Entomology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky.

Just feel it is only right to give credit where credit is due. These scientists work hard to write these articles, and deserve the credit for them. A pity I can't read the whole thing though as it sounds quite interesting.

Anyway, back to the topic... :)

Hello
I haven't had time to read it yet. Like I've said before, I'm learning so that my knowledge may grow.

Last edited:

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Ok, would be good to get a summary of the whole article.
Let us know when you have had a read through. :)

entomology

3 Year Member
Please remember people we get all our information from "field researchers" if not for them our knowledge would be" very limited" and its thanks to them we have the information we need on specific species. if we refer or take a" quote" from a field researcher it is the most obvious piece submitted and common sense. Read my article and tell me if that is not common sense??? people are educated due to knowledge and knowledge can only be achieved through study material not just sucked out ones "thumb"

entomology

3 Year Member
Well someone on this thread is in big trouble falsifying my credentials and identity theft and with IP address and GPS coordinates I have opened a criminal case and police are investigating building a case as I am the only raymondjohngerber so if it's is you, you are iin big trouble and face big charges buy some soap so long!!!! Trouble is coming your way . In case people did think i take credit for a researchers work we read it and break it up so people who cannot understand it may gather the informations nd absorb it easier and understand it better . I don't take credit for fiend researchers work so can someone please point it out where I stated that!!! I states the obvious with breeding species in my own opinion. Ppl carry on here like 5 year olds really. Do u not read books so if I make a statement on the book tarantula keepers I'll be accused that it's not my work?!!! Pls man grow up cerat.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
All I was asking for was a reference to the article and a friendly request to post credit to the article. Nothing more and nothing less. :)

entomology

3 Year Member
Thanks Christell
You have an "open mind" and can understand the "logic" behind reading and conveying information gathered from " field researchers"a bit better . I scrutinized it and broke it up and added value to it especially the contribution factors that cause canabalism which is common sense to most if they think about it. We take reference to most articles. If people don't publish articles of importance we will never learn and jealousy is a terrible thing hence I am always " targeted because I take pride and passion in the bobby. Just to look at others trying to compare against my enclosures. My house is "rigged with computers simulating each species natural cycles and when I asked Jake who is a "bias"moderator who sticks up for his mate Ceratogyrus so just go look and read up as the proof is there. I asked Jake to which he avoids the question how many metallica sacks he has had in the last year he avoids the question??! I've had 5 or 6 now on the last year so that shows I'm doing something correct!!
Thank you for your mind words and understanding :)

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@entomology If you're ignoring @Ceratogyrus , do just that, ignore him. there is no need to constantly tell him that you're ignoring him (which you have on a number of occasions). Ceratogyrus did not start anything here, nor was he trying to bait you. It seems to me that you are trying to instigate something. It needs to stop. If you're ignoring him, than ignore him, that is to say if you have him on ignore, than don't acknowledge him at all. Then we can all go about our business without this high school caliber drama.