• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Canadian fires

VanessaS

3 Year Member
This is catastrophic and will result in damage that we have never seen before. Parts of this country will never be the same again. The wild areas, and wildlife, that is being destroyed is beyond comprehension.
My head office is in Calgary and we have branches in Fort McMurray.
This is beyond anything that I have ever seen in my life in this country.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Fortunately there don't appear to be any human deaths. I think the worst thing is that so many people's memories, as well as futures have been destroyed.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Yes, of course what people have lost, as far as personal items, is tragic. There are no reports of human lives lost and it looks as though people are being evacuated very efficiently... thankfully.
It is going to take a long time to rebuild those communities, but there isn't anything that we can do to help the wildlife - no insurance in the world can help. That is gone forever and that area is one of the most beautiful in the entire country.
British Columbia is burning too - it's the whole west coast.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Will they ever rebuild those communities? As far as wildlife is concerned it's amazing how quickly the area will begin growing again, especially if people replant trees then animals will soon move back in.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
They will have to rebuild - those communities are integral to our oil industry.
I'm in the gasoline business and we have branches in Fort McMurray and the surrounding areas. One of my drivers in Toronto was in Fort McMurray until last week. He showed me photos that he took of the airport, as he was boarding his flight back home, and the fires were right next to the airport. They've managed to save the airports and hospitals.
They will definitely rebuild.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'd guessed that they would rebuild but will those communities ever be the same? We haven't heard about fires in British Columbia as yet, let's hope they're not as bad as Fort McMurray area.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Last I heard there were nine burning in BC and some in Saskatchewan as well. We've just got word that gasoline pipelines are being shut down and my guys, in the Toronto area, will be starting to haul gasoline to parts of Manitoba by truck. It is a 24 hour drive, one way, from Toronto to Winnipeg.
The panic is going to start shortly.
:(

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's not good. All I can say is I hope it pours with rain soon, it seems the only hope of dowsing these fires..

Latest posts