• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can tarantulas eat earthworms?

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
I was just curious as to whether or not tarantulas can eat earthworms, more specifically can ALL of them eat them since I know some tropical species like them. I've decided I'm not even going to attempt it until I know for sure it's safe. I always have some nightcrawlers on hand for some of my other terrarium animals and thought that a piece of one would be a tasty, easy to eat and digest dinner for my for my two tarantulas, a brachypelma Boehmei and a brachypelma Smithi. Would it be okay for them to have a bit of nightcrawler or other worm on occasion?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was just curious as to whether or not tarantulas can eat earthworms, more specifically can ALL of them eat them since I know some tropical species like them. I've decided I'm not even going to attempt it until I know for sure it's safe. I always have some nightcrawlers on hand for some of my other terrarium animals and thought that a piece of one would be a tasty, easy to eat and digest dinner for my for my two tarantulas, a brachypelma Boehmei and a brachypelma Smithi. Would it be okay for them to have a bit of nightcrawler or other worm on occasion?
It wouldn't hurt them a bit. According to Rick West, Theraphosa eat them in the wild. Of course you wouldn't want to feed them earthworms exclusively.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Thanks guys! Good to know! Glad to hear they can have them! I'm sure they'll like them from time to time but it's no substitute for the crickets and roaches they normally eat. My B. Boehmei, October is probably going to molt soon considering he stopped eating so when he finally does a nice soft worm would be a great first post molt food since his fangs will be a bit sensitive at the time.