• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can anyone name this spider??

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
I found this spider at work today. Have never seen one like it before. Does anyone know what it might be?
image.jpeg

Telson

3 Year Member
That baby looks like it came straight out of LOTR...minus the uh..stinger...on a spider..then again ive never seen an uruk either. Although my ex faintly resembled one when she was angry..

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ahh we have lots of those. Never have seen any that big or colored like that.
I don't know a lot about them other then their abdomen pattern varies, and their webs aren't very structured. More cobwebby then typical webs.

Mtinney

3 Year Member
I found this spider at work today. Have never seen one like it before. Does anyone know what it might be?View attachment 17762

Looks almost like the writing spiders(Argiope Aurantia). We get in my area in the fall. Make huge gorgeous webs. But it's just a little off. Maybe they're cousins?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 11

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Definitely a brow widow (Latrodectus geometricus). Here is an image of one from the top and one from the bottom:

brown_widow_spider_large.jpg

4LBZMLVZZLZRXHAHMHYH6HFHPH9ZGL1ZMLLRNHAZUH1ZNHNZ8LRR8L1ZML1ZPHRREH3H9HBZ5LUZ4LNZ4L9ZRLPZGH.jpg

Use caution. Their venom, although not as deadly as some of the other widow spiders, can be deadly.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Definitely a brow widow (Latrodectus geometricus). Here is an image of one from the top and one from the bottom:

brown_widow_spider_large.jpg

4LBZMLVZZLZRXHAHMHYH6HFHPH9ZGL1ZMLLRNHAZUH1ZNHNZ8LRR8L1ZML1ZPHRREH3H9HBZ5LUZ4LNZ4L9ZRLPZGH.jpg

Use caution. Their venom, although not as deadly as some of the other widow spiders, can be deadly.
I've heard they're not as reclusive and hesitant to bite as our black widows, they're out in the open a bit more and will bite if provoked. Any Latrodectus can be fatal if not medically treated, if you happen to get a wet bite.

Just saw this, if you're to believe wikipedia :p - Like all Latrodectus species, L. geometricus has a neurotoxic venom that, drop for drop, is as toxic as the black widow's. Also says the brown widow bite venom tends to stay in the bite location rather than spread like the black widow, so maybe that's why it's thought to be less venomous?

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
I've heard they're not as reclusive and hesitant to bite as our black widows, they're out in the open a bit more and will bite if provoked. Any Latrodectus can be fatal if not medically treated, if you happen to get a wet bite.

Just saw this, if you're to believe wikipedia :p - Like all Latrodectus species, L. geometricus has a neurotoxic venom that, drop for drop, is as toxic as the black widow's. Also says the brown widow bite venom tends to stay in the bite location rather than spread like the black widow, so maybe that's why it's thought to be less venomous?
We have a lot of brown widows here in Florida, they play dead when threatened so they don't bite as many people.

Beautiful spider. We also have the red widow, but I've only seen one so far.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We have a lot of brown widows here in Florida, they play dead when threatened so they don't bite as many people.

Beautiful spider. We also have the red widow, but I've only seen one so far.
Love red widows! Of all of my captive species, I have had the least amount of luck with the her. Thinking they may need more humidity than the rest? I have one now that is doing better and I am keeping her enclosure a little higher in humidity than my other species.

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
Love red widows! Of all of my captive species, I have had the least amount of luck with the her. Thinking they may need more humidity than the rest? I have one now that is doing better and I am keeping her enclosure a little higher in humidity than my other species.
The red widows here like to make large webs between trees. The browns and blacks are more stationary. It's hard to find reds here.

I'd love to see photos!

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Lol....pack your **** and run!!! I like true spiders but not a widow fan! Those and recluses scare me enough to where I respect them from a distance! Idk what I would ever do if I came across a Sydney funnel or a Brazilian wanderer, lol.....

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Very brave soul, you are. Lol....and the firemen tell me they won't go into my back room if my house was on fire (all my T's are in there)...but they'd crawl under a dark floor space full of widows and recluses to rescue a kitten or something......ummmmm.....no. rotflmao!

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Looks almost like the writing spiders(Argiope Aurantia). We get in my area in the fall. Make huge gorgeous webs. But it's just a little off. Maybe they're cousins?
Great shot at trying, sweety! They do look similar. I've owned a few argiope in my time and I assure you that the one in question is of the widow family. I believe it to be brown widow, as well, but I'm unsure because all I've ever seen are black widows here. I will leave that up to the experts. Casey knows tarantulas very well.....she doesn't do very many trues, lol. The argiope is a beautiful and docile spider....quite large to be a true spider. :)

Latest posts