• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can anyone idetify this species?

Loafman

3 Year Member
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I have been keeping T's for a couple of years now and have 9 in total.

One of them is a mystery species, and was thrown in as a freebie when I bought some a few years back. He/she was maybe 3/8" leg span when I got him/her, so really tiny. So far the little critter has been doing just fine, despite me having no clue as to it's natural environment. It has always been plain dark in colour, basically black, no real hairiness to speak of, very fast and skittish and is very much a burrower, although it has webbed up it's enclosure quite heavily.

I rarely see the little monster as it is almost always hiding underground in it's network of tunnels. About two or three weeks ago I found a discarded moult out in the open, so I refrained from feeding for a while. Yesterday I threw a few crickets in there to see if I could entice it out into the open, when all of a sudden it appeared.. looking vastly different from what it did before the moult, it has gone from fairly hairless to very hairy, it has changed from near black to a mid grey colour, although it has black feet that are bald! It is now around 4 inches leg span. Very strange looking thing..

I believe it is supposed to be a Chilobrachys sp. Penang, or so I was told, but it doesn't look like any pictures I've seen of one of those. I will upload a picture, any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers guys!

IMG_20170119_171803.jpg

Last edited:

Loafman

3 Year Member
I think you may be right. I was just having another search on google, and there is a new image which shows up (it's only just started to show up!) of a Male Chilobrachys sp. Penang, and it looks just like this. I have seen many pictures of C sp Penang's before and they looked quite different. Maybe all the other images were females? It seems the males and females are visually very different.

So it seems it may well be a male C. sp Penang.. well, I think we can call that a result! Many thanks! :)

Latest posts