• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

C. Versicolor slings!

Ethel Webster

3 Year Member
So, yesterday I got my first tarantula slings! I can barely believe what I am writing since I've been scared of spiders forever. Got my first jumping spider in March and I've improved so much! I fell in love with the way these guys walk, along with their colour! Here's a couple of pics.

I have done a lot of research and am aware of the importance of cross ventilation along with not having their enclosures too wet.

Attachments

• 20170907_114000.jpg
    20170907_114000.jpg
    763.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20170907_122748.jpg
    20170907_122748.jpg
    914.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20170907_152547.jpg
    20170907_152547.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 24

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congratulations on the new arrivals :)
So many of us were scared of spiders, I still don't like them loose in the house but can happily let a T crawl over my hand.

Ethel Webster

3 Year Member
I'm still not able to hold my jumpers, some if the smaller slings I can. I'm happy just to look at them. I'm fine when they are contained, but get a bit panicky once they come out, mainly because I don't want to lose them, I think. I can't wait to see my Versis moult! Gonna enjoy watching them grow!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm still not able to hold my jumpers, some if the smaller slings I can. I'm happy just to look at them. I'm fine when they are contained, but get a bit panicky once they come out, mainly because I don't want to lose them, I think. I can't wait to see my Versis moult! Gonna enjoy watching them grow!

My jumper produced 3 egg sacs not long after I got her so I had loads of very tiny babies to deal with. The great thing about them is that when they drop off you, they web and dangle from your hand so less likely to get lost. I still have one of those babies but I don't handle her now. I do all my rehousesin a big box so there is less chance of losing one.
Versi's are beautiful as slings but they go through great colour changes as they grow. You'll definitely enjoy them.

Ethel Webster

3 Year Member
My first female was wild caught (I didn't know at the time) and laid a fertile eggs sac within a week of arriving! She died a couple of weeks before they left the nest. Talk about being chucked in at the deep end, lol! She was in the shop for 3 months before I bought her and she waited until I got her to lay them. I felt honoured that she left me to care for them. I've lost a fair few but got over 20 still doing really well!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's what happened with me, I'd only had her a few weeks when she made her first sac. Sadly she died just as the 3rd sac were emerging. I didn't have many survivors but I sold a few, kept 2 and just have the one left now.

PinkT

3 Year Member
Congrats on your new family members. I didn't even realize you could buy jumpers. I caught one 30 years ago at work coming off a car and kept her in a critter keeper for 6 months catching what I could to feed her. She molted on me. Maybe a month or so later she died. I was so upset. Loved that jumper!

Hoping to add another T this weekend. Going to a Reptile Expo...:)

Latest posts