• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

C.darlingi - Rear horned baboon

Charmyknux

3 Year Member
Question for you Nada: at about what size do these guys start getting their horns? I just purchased a tiny sling at the reptile show the other day ($9, couldn't pass it up!)

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
A pity that everyone can't own these. Don't know what I would do without my Ceratogyrus. I would also love to be able to add more onto my permit or breed these, but looks like that won't happen soon.
A few people have bred these in SA, but obviously quietly as breeding permits have not been issued for these before as far as i know.

Tongue Flicker

3 Year Member
Have one! My 4.5" female is always a delight to watch.

She acts weird everytime water is present near her lol

Quick question: is it possible for adult C.darlingis to just fatten up from drinking? My female hasn't eaten for a month now and hasn't drank any water for the past 3 years. 2 weeks ago i misted and she went berserk to suck every droplet. A couple of days ago i misted and the same thing happened. Today i noticed her abdomen is 150% bulked up. She molted last December. Premolt preparation? Or just thirsty?

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Possibly carrying eggs? Although not sure it would show that quickly... The rain might stimulate it to start producing eggs though.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Even without a mate? She looks cuter than ever though :D

Correct.
They don't need a male to start producing the eggs (proven with phantom sacs).
The female only fertilizes the eggs as she is depositing them in the egg sac along with the sperm stored in the spermathecae. So that is why there is no fixed gestation period. The female can lay the eggs as soon as they are developed, so she could start growing them in anticipation of a male. The rainy season here usually gets the male wandering, so maybe with the extra water she was waiting for a male and decided to start developing the eggs.

Hopefully that makes some sense... :)

AlyeskaWolf

3 Year Member
No not dumb , although it is a bit annoying, as I am not a fan of KTBG ... at all. I may just change my name to avoid further confusion.

I am interested to know more about this as I just ordered from him, and wasn't happy about the way things came...I had heard good things, but...I know the deli cups I ordered were used, they were dirty. :/

I decided to go Jamies Tarantulas next time...

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am interested to know more about this as I just ordered from him, and wasn't happy about the way things came...I had heard good things, but...I know the deli cups I ordered were used, they were dirty. :/

I decided to go Jamies Tarantulas next time...

It's just a personal preference Alyeska. I'm not suggestingthat he does anything underhanded, or will "screw" anyone. I personally just prefer not to deal with him. If you'd like to pm me, we can talk about it, but it's nothing that needs to be made public.

Latest posts