• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Building housing for a colony of B. lateralis

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We recently acquired a new sling (B. albopilosum) and 100 mixed-size rusty reds, as feeders for the sling

My plan for housing the roaches, at the moment, is a 1'x1'x1' glass cube (nano fish tank) with about 1" of organic potting soil mixed with some sand (70/30) and torn egg crate.

I know many keep a 10G tank for their reds, but O want to keep my colony small as we only have one sling to feed, so I'll be culling adult males regularly and the occasional female to keep the colony in check.

Here are things I am wondering:
-can we use a critter keeper for the reds?
-should we cut down some 1/2" PVC conduit vs. egg crate for hides?
-how moist should the enclosure be kept?

Appreciate any advice and pics of smaller housing setups for reds

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Yes,that few could be housed in a kritter keeper.
No, they need a rough surface to keep from climbing all over each other. Use discarded paper tubes, empty pulp-type egg cartons or cut up a brown cardboard box. Since you have but one T, culling the males is ideal, these grow quick, so feed about every 10 days or so. Don't use a heat mat, they are fine at normal house temps, unless you want to breed.
The substrate should always be moderately damp to the touch. I provide a water dish with lava rock in the bottom so the tiny nymphs can drink without drowning. [emoji6]

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks for the informative response, Terasoid ::thumbsup::

I think I do want them to breed, just not with such amazing regularity that I'm soon overrun with roaches. Will they breed moderately at room temp?

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Even at room temps, once established, will reproduce well beyond your needs. Lower temps ( low 60's ) and less frequent feeding can slow down reproduction.
You can sell off the excess or trade for crickets/accessories at your LPS, if they're willing to deal.
Once you have, say 50+ juvie and adults, a breeding colony is the way to go. Easy to care for, cheap to feed and no driving to the LPS for feeders.
[emoji3]

Therasoid

3 Year Member
I have no plans to amass 50+ tarantulas... my gf would leave me for certain! :eek::confused::mad:
Lol!
You'd be surprised as to females, once getting interested, become keepers themselves. Enn49 has a very nice and diverse collection, but can't stand house spiders.
More and more females are entering the hobby, some of which is due to their male counterpart are a hobbiest. [emoji6]
Others it was a way to overcome their "arachnophobia".

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is my daughter's pet project, no pun intended, but she is only 9 so I have to be on top of it with her. My gf can't be far enough away from it all... to think, she "tolerated" our 9 fishtanks (down from 14)... and now this!

FWIW, the colony of roaches is all about me not wanting to go to the pet store weekly for food items - I'm lazy that way - plus I can control what the roaches eat and what nourishes our furry fellow.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Here are a few pics of our initial, and perhaps temporary, housing for B. lateralis colony to feed our T
gMvOJ8V-4vmZkJ-nvCoZmKZxRPOIZR0t5wOG3vAloAk=w441-h587-no
Ar7Q6FZW8O3_YPPSypfROd1nfZghDTddflwySm_o-uo=w783-h587-no

1G nano cube glass tank
1" moistened Organic Potting soil base
Aquarium sand topping to raise substrate level to rim of cups
2 cups silicone-fastened to floor of tank
-water crystals and food items, ramp included

I plan to cover the 2 sides and rear with black paper to reduce light, and to fashion a top to keep humidity in

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I keep a few species of tetra in my riparium but I mostly keep inverts like freshwater shrimp and crayfish.

Why only 6 months?

spidey noob

3 Year Member
i always wanted a blue crayfish ;)

once a female roach has mated she is pregnant for life & will have up to 30 babys every 28 days !!!
so depending on how many females u have u could end up with 1000s of roaches in 6 months. (they reperduce like mad) its the only down side to haveing a colony of them u get over run before u no it. :D

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have many females, and I saw one toting around and egg sack so I'm sure I'll have too many pretty soon.
I'll look into trading them with the local pet store, or just euthanizing what I don't need.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
I have many females, and I saw one toting around and egg sack so I'm sure I'll have too many pretty soon.
I'll look into trading them with the local pet store, or just euthanizing what I don't need.
Just a suggestion, instead of euthanizing, run an ad in the "for free" section on Craigslist. Might be other keepers needing feeders that are in your vicinity. I believe there are some lizard species that will consume roaches also.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Good suggestion, though I've had my share of no shows for free giveaways in the past... But of course I'll try.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Where you located? I can USPS a box :)
Central ( the "worthless" nut state ) Ohio. [emoji17]
Thanks for the offer, but I have plenty. A couple of days ago removed 9 females with ootheca still attached. Nearly 300 nymphs at 3/16" running about already. Turned off the heater to help slow reproduction. July seems to be molting month, every day except the 4th and 8th I've had at least one molt. [emoji2]

Latest posts