• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

US Bugs in Cyberspace

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just completed a transaction with Peter from Bugs in Cyberspace. Although I have never ordered T's from there, he has them available. I acquired 3 True Spider species that I had been searching for quite some time. They all arrived healthy and right on time. The pricing is also extremely reasonable and he even partially refunded part of my shipping cost without me having to ask. Excellent transaction.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello again. Another great transaction from Peter from Bugs in Cyberspace. This time I ordered a Pimoa (Pimoa sp.), Golden Huntsman (Oleus giganteus) and a much sought out Camel Spider (Solifugae sp.). I even received a freebie Pimoa! A+ great transaction. Highly recommend. Thanks.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Glad to hear he's a reputable seller. Thanks for posting this review!

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just completed another great transaction with Bugs in Cyberspace. No surprises which is always good!

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have purchased several True Spiders from Peter this year. This last order was for a Yellow Sac Spider and a Folding Trap Door. Top notch!

AceTRetreat

3 Year Member
Been a while since anyone has posted here about Peter .. but I have done business with him several times and he is top-notch with critters and supplies ... not lots of T's but true spiders and many other types of "bugs"! Do hot hesitate to contact him and do business with him .. you will be glad you did!

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just completed another order with Peter. Picked up:

2 species of isopods
Velvet Ants
Christmas Beetle
2 Water Bugs
Hacklemesh Weaver Spider
Scytodes Spitting Spider
Yellow Sac Spider
Orbweavers

Peter is a top notch supplier and I would recommend him to anyone. Thanks.

Ashton Foley

3 Year Member
I have completed two orders with Peter Clausen at bugs in cyberspace and he is an absolutely phenomenal dealer.
What i bought:
violin mantis
double shield mantis
giant african mantis
fly cultures
All came in great health and are feeding well, outstanding customer service

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just completed yet another order with Peter. A+++ transaction all across the board.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
I ordered roaches from Peter about a year ago, and they all arrived perfectly healthy, and he included freebies of every species! Almost all of the roach species I ordered from him have since matured and have started breeding, so I must say I am an extremely satisfied customer! :D A+++!

jrh3

3 Year Member
i can vouch for Peter, being a stand up great guy to deal with. He is well known on the mantidforum also a moderator. He is honest and takes pride in his business.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Another great transaction with Bugs in Cyberspace. Picked up:

Yellow Sac Spider
Gnaphosid Ground Spider
Warrior Beetle
Pimoa Spider

All happy and healthy. Thanks Peter.

Vladimir

3 Year Member
I wish I had as good luck as you guys did, he screwed me over. I ordered 7 Pseudocreobotra Wahlbergii's (for $84.00 not bad) and received 8 (which I thought was awesome); went to work the next day and one was dead when I came home, not a big deal, you will loose a couple on there way to adult hood, so I did not think anything of it as the rest were active and eating good. Within that first week a total of five were dead, so I messaged him and he told me I "should have some idea to what is going wrong...there is probably something wrong with the moss you are using" (that moss was simply Sphagnum moss) I told him that the moss was the same moss I use for my Idolo's Gongy's Hymenopus, and dart frogs and his reply was "bizarre". Within the second week the last of them were dead and again he told me there is some kind of "fungus or bacteria on the moss" (apparently he did not read that I was currently using the exact same moss for most of my mantids and dart frogs). So again I told him I am using the same moss for my other mantids and dart frogs, and he then ignored me and never answered back, tried messaging him a second time and still ignored me. So he sold me sick mantids and kept my money; his loss, if he sold healthy mantids I would have been a permanent customer.
Conditions
They were kept at 72-76*F at night and 74-80*F during the day
Humidity was kept at ~50% at the low and ~80% at the high
They all ate 2-4 Hydei every 3-4 days before they died
Enclosure was 2X2X2 (they were only L2 less than 1/2 inch long so the enclosure was a fine size for them)

BugsInCyberspace

3 Year Member
Feedback is a very important resource for future customers and fortunately a very good one let me know about your post.

Here is the background on my transaction with Vladimir, above.

1. His order shipped on 4/5, including an extra mantis as he correctly noted. We actually mutually agreed to hold the order an extra day because his weather had taken a dive.
2. His order was delivered on time, 4/7, and the mailman tried to deliver it at 11:33AM but he was not home to receive it. Though it did not come up during our conversation, missing the first delivery attempt invalidates his live guarantee. But everything arrived alive anyway.
3. Five hours after their first delivery attempt, he signed for his package after it rode around in the non-weather-controlled back of a postal vehicle.
4. April 14th--ONE WEEK AFTER delivery--he contacted me and told me that 5 of his mantises died in the previous 24 hours.
5. April 15th, he told me that two more died.
6. I patiently and with genuine curiosity entertained all his questions and we wrote back and forth in an attempt to identify a cause of death. The only factor that I could point to as questionable in terms of what was in the cage was the moss he used. Moss can harbor bacteria. In the end, we agreed that the deaths did not make sense given our mutual experiences with many mantises. At no point did he blame me or ask for replacements (which is good because they died as as a result of his care, or lack there of).

Now, that he missed the first delivery attempt is a point I will concede is irrelevant. It is ONLY irrelevant simply because his mantises were not only ALIVE ON ARRIVAL, but lived another 7 days. Had he lost one or three or seven on arrival, we would have had a small discussion about his missing the first delivery attempt.

He says in his feedback post above that one died shortly after arrival, but in his first email to me about the mantises on 4/14 he specifically said that the first five died the previous day. It is fine if he is merely simplifying things for his reading audience, here, but little omissions add up and begin to suggest that larger ones may lurk beneath the surface.

I acknowledged that we both felt it was unusual, given our mutual and vast experience in raising mantises for this to happen. I told him that his letter to me with news of his mantises dying so long after arrival and in such quick succession was unusual in my 20 years of selling them. In fact, that was my last letter to him and he did not reply again. His feedback post takes some great liberties in making it sound like I was specifically blaming the moss. I was not. Like himself, I could not identify a cause of death.

Mantises are not difficult insects to keep alive. Sick mantises don't eat the numbers of flies yours supposedly did. One might, but not all of them. Why? Because they were obviously not sick when they arrived. Not once did I say this in our email conversation 7 or so weeks ago, but it is rather clear to me that he did not provide them the proper care or that something of a chemical or contaminant nature factored in on the receiving end. Bleach residue in cleaned cups...re-used moss? I can't possibly know. The unusual death of his mantises remains a mystery to me. His accusation that I "screwed him over" leaves nothing to mystery, however. Neither is it a mystery why his post count on this forum is 1.

Vladimir, it is very hurtful to attempt to damage a very committed dealer's reputation through accusations when YOU don't know why they died. Frustration is understandable, and I shared in your frustrations but if you are fair you will ask yourself if your frustrations are with me, or with the situation. Obviously, there must be a statute of limitations in how long a dealer is responsible for the lives of animals after they arrive. You agreed to my terms and conditions for live arrival. While that is all our agreement extends to, I do often make exceptions for gray areas and bend my own rules when it is reasonable to do so.

Last edited:

Dev Park

3 Year Member
I made my first invert order ever (ie. from any seller) from Peter last week. I got 9 giant millipedes and am very happy with the whole experience. The pedes were shipped fast, arrived quickly and were bigger than expected and in perfect physical condition and health as far as I could tell. They all seem to be happy in my tank. I am going to see how they do under my care for a few months and then order more if I am good at keeping them. If I have any trouble I may ask Peter for help, but will assume I did not care for them properly as they looked prefect when they arrived.

Peter seems to be the person with the best selection of milipedes on the internet. I was so happy to find him.

Thank you Peter for offering such a nice selection of millipedes. I look forward to my next order.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I had another great transaction with Peter. Package arrived yesterday. Mixed inverts including a Jerusalem cricket, blue death feigning beetles, a few true spiders, and my first millipedes ever. Went with Bumblebee millipedes. Great packaging and all healthy animals.

I have bought from BiC once, and so far the experience has been satisfactory.