• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding jumping spiders

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So my son caught what we thought was a male jumping spider -Platycryptus californicus or Grey Jumping Spider around here.

We just noticed when feeding it a pinhead roach today it appears to have an egg sack now.

I have no clue what to do for these little guys. My first thought is to let them hatch then go release them in the yard. But it would be cool to keep a couple and raise them from eggs.

Here's the proud momma munching on her pinhead.
20160802_174104.jpg

And yes I forgot to remove the cricket leftovers before taking the pic. They're gone now :p

Here's what looks to me like the egg sack.
20160802_174115.jpg

So what should we do?

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looks like you got lucky! I have no experience with breeding jumping spiders so excited to see what happens here. I cannot imagine how small the food would need to be for the hatchlings due to the small size?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looks like you got lucky! I have no experience with breeding jumping spiders so excited to see what happens here. I cannot imagine how small the food would need to be for the hatchlings due to the small size?
Yeah I have no idea either. The smallest roach or FFF will probably be to big. They should molt to 2i without food though so maybe by that time a pinhead or FFF would work

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Perhaps they eat off what mother kills? If you get a successful hatching I'd drop a pre killed pinhead or three and see what they do. Obviously they won't finish one alone but maybe they will feed together?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Searching:::

Hatchlings can be fed fruit flies, pinhead or 10 day old crickets…aphids, if available, are an excellent food source.

:::
All they need is a food source. You can take any cricket or fly or roach and mash it up so it's al gooey and offer it to the clutch of slings. Many will eat a large meal like this at the same time.

Still looking....

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Searching:::

Hatchlings can be fed fruit flies, pinhead or 10 day old crickets…aphids, if available, are an excellent food source.

:::
All they need is a food source. You can take any cricket or fly or roach and mash it up so it's al gooey and offer it to the clutch of slings. Many will eat a large meal like this at the same time.

Still looking....
Thanks!! I did find this website. Pretty cool :) http://kozmicdreams.com/spidercare.htm

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From what i'm reading there could be ~100 eggs in this sack, way to many for me to take care of :( I think i'll keep them until they start to hatch and save 2, one for me and one for my son, then let the rest go. Pictures on that site i linked show the 2i jumpers are about 1/2 the size of an FFF, hopefully i still have small enough pinheads to feed them in a month when they hatch.

Pants__cat

3 Year Member
You could always post a thread in the sales, jumping spiders are hard to find as far as buying online goes

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You could always post a thread in the sales, jumping spiders are hard to find as far as buying online goes
From what i've found they're seasonal, www.phids.net usually has a good selection but they don't start selling until May and cut off in sept./oct. They had some of the really rare species this summer but i didn't get to order any :(

Update on my Grey jumping spider, the egg sac was a dud, or i did something wrong, anyway nothing hatched. I was kind of depressed and quite relieved i didn't have to deal with a couple hundred itty bitty jumpers ;) When the seasons started changing 3 or 4 weeks ago we released the female to find her winter hide-away and possibly another male ;)

Latest posts