• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brazilian Salmon Pink Small Abdomen

EvilTim1911

3 Year Member
Hi, it's my first post here. I'm quite concerned about my Lasiodora Parahybana because her abdomen seems to be pretty small compared to pics on the Internet. I got her as a birthday present and the guy who works at the pet store told my friend who bought it that it was just under a year old. Right after she was bought, she molted (while she was still at my friend's place). This was all about 3 months ago and she seems very healthy but, as I said, her abdomen is very small, maybe even a bit smaller than her thorax. It doesn't look shriveled up, just small. I give her fresh water every week or so, whenever there's less than a centimeter or so left in her bowl, so I don't think she's dehydrating. I feed her 2-3 times a week, giving her about 5-6 small worms every time (I can't buy crickets or larger worms where I live, the only option I have are 1cm long relatively thin worms). She usually eats them all, only hesitating on the last one so that's how I know when she's had enough. Am I doing anything wrong? Will her abdomen get larger the next time she molts? Is this even a genuine concern? I can post a pic if it's necessary, but as I said, her abdomen is about the same size as her thorax. Thanks in advance. :)

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the boards. Can you provide us with a picture? What kind of worms are you feeding it, and how large is it? If it's a year old It should be 3-5"

EvilTim1911

3 Year Member
Sorry, it's not exactly the most clear of pictures out there, but I think you'll be able to see the size of her abdomen when compared to the thorax. As for her size, a 5 inch leg span sounds about right. I buy the worms at a fishing store, the ones that are supposed to be used as bait. They're just plain white worms, possibly the same ones as the one pictured here:
White-bug_8.jpg

Like I said, they're about 1cm long.

Attachments

• IMG_20130112_201742.jpg
    IMG_20130112_201742.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 117

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Her Abdomen is fine. I would try to find Crickets or Roaches. Maggots are basically just Fat. There are plenty of dealers that will ship you a starter colony of roaches. They're easily maintained.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree with Kenny, maggots are not the best choice of feeders. If you live in the US you can order crickets online from a lot of places (roaches too if they're legal in your area), I know a good place for crickets online is : http://www.flukerfarms.com/ . I always heard good things about them from others when I was keeping reptiles :)

EvilTim1911

3 Year Member
Yeah, when I first got her I heard insects like roaches and crickets were the way to go, but unfortunately I don't live in the US so they aren't as easy to find. I scoured my entire city looking for crickets and asked everywhere, but even the pet store where my friend bought the tarantula didn't give me any solid leads. Left me wondering what they feed their tarantulas with while the're staying there. Maybe she was so underfed while in the store so that's why her abdomen is relatively skinny? Who knows. I'll keep looking around for something juicier, there must be something better than these tiny maggots.

Atx13

3 Year Member
Super worms, they're available everywhere. Your best option, if crickets and roaches are not available.
Does your T eat those "wax" worms?

EvilTim1911

3 Year Member
I live in Bosnia & Herzegovina (you'll probably have to Google it). She does eat the "wax" worms, and so far the only other thing I've given her are a few millipedes I've found. I'll try to find the super worms mentioned, but I'm not even sure I'll find those here.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would probably avoid giving her any wild caught feeders, simply because you never know if they carry parasites and/or have been exposed to pesticides. Can you maybe ask the pet store if they can order you a shipment of mealworms, super worms, roaches or crickets and then you can just breed your own (roaches and meal worms are probably the easiest to breed of those...and less smelly than crickets)?

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Your girl's abdomen is fine. Most of the T pictures you see are very much over fed, they really should not be that fat.
Have you tried to look for locust, they might be a more common feeder in your area.

EvilTim1911

3 Year Member
I'll keep all your advice in mind, thank you. As for the pet store, they weren't very helpful at all. Apparently they get their tarantulas pretty well fed from somewhere and feed them with whatever they can find (very much like me at the moment) while they're staying there and they don't have a steady supply of any T food. I'm fairly sure they don't grow any of their own, but I'll ask around some more. I have a friend of a friend who keeps some large birds and he breeds his own super worms, so I'm looking into buying some from him and maybe breeding my own. Everything is better than those tiny larvae right now.

Pawandinverts

3 Year Member
I would say super worms. They are very good for the T and they as so make the fatten up a little bit. :)
That is what I use, my Ts love them. I feed my sling Meal worms torn in half then my older slings a full meal worm. I feed my adults super worms.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would say super worms. They are very good for the T and they as so make the fatten up a little bit. :)
That is what I use, my Ts love them. I feed my sling Meal worms torn in half then my older slings a full meal worm. I feed my adults super worms.
That is because they have a very high fat content and low nutritional value and "meat to shell" ratio. Feeder insects in rank order 1. Roaches 2. Crickets/locusts 3. Mealworms 4. Waxworms

Of course what you feed your feeder plays the primary role in determining their overall nutritional value.

Dr Mengele

3 Year Member
I have a Very Large Female that is over 10 years old, maybe 11 or 12. She eats well and her Abdomen is pretty big. I think it is possible that maybe your husbandry is a little off but that just a guess. I have mine in a 15 gallon tank 3-4 inches of eco earth. a cork tube she rarely goes into, a half circle piece of cork that she spends 90 % of her time on. it is rather dry and no lights other then the ambient lighting in the room She eats well and then will go a month or 2 and not eat a thing. I keep a water dish in the tank and it gets filled 4 or 5 times a month Max. Rarely have i seen her drink but i have seen this happen. She will eat 1 dozen Large crickets at a time. I NEVER give her mice!

Matthaus

3 Year Member
I have a Very Large Female that is over 10 years old, maybe 11 or 12. She eats well and her Abdomen is pretty big. I think it is possible that maybe your husbandry is a little off but that just a guess. I have mine in a 15 gallon tank 3-4 inches of eco earth. a cork tube she rarely goes into, a half circle piece of cork that she spends 90 % of her time on. it is rather dry and no lights other then the ambient lighting in the room She eats well and then will go a month or 2 and not eat a thing. I keep a water dish in the tank and it gets filled 4 or 5 times a month Max. Rarely have i seen her drink but i have seen this happen. She will eat 1 dozen Large crickets at a time. I NEVER give her mice!

Would you mind sharing a picture of her? She sounds incredible!

Latest posts