• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brachyprelma Albopilosum bad molt

Saberfal

3 Year Member
So I'm still fairly new to T. thing, and I started out with 2 slings with one being a curly hair.

At this point I'm rather sad to say I'm 98% my curly hair died today while molting. (I know this brings up a lot questions, but the environment for my Ts is great and haven't had any issues so far.)

The thing I don't really understand though is the posture this T took while trying to molt. My brachy almost never came up out of the substrate, and 2 days ago it was taking a stroll. Within a few minutes, it sat down and stuck all of it's legs straight up.

I would see it move, and attempt to move here and there. The abdomen portion broke free during the first day without issue. However now that point seems to be moot as I believe the T is deceased. I have a really crappy camera, so a picture with enough detail isn't possible. From what I can tell, the abdomen has distended quite unnaturally from the thorax, as if being pinched by the old exo. The old carapace and legs are still intact, and show no signs of breaking to allow the T. out. If it were of a larger size I may have been able to help out a little, but the sling was just to small to risk any kind of aid on my end.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has had T.s that went into molt, but just did it wrong? Mine was sitting right side up, with all legs extended upwards over its back. Just like you would see in a regular molt posture, just backwards.

My other T sling is a Rosea G. and is also about to molt. This T. also exhibits some weird behaviours going through premolt into molt too.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not much advice/suggestions/idea we can give without a bit more info. It does sound like there's some environmental issue going on there with both of them having weird behavior in premolt.

Pics help, even crappy ones ;) how's the setup they're in? what substrate? how moist? how warm? etc. etc.

Saberfal

3 Year Member
By weird I mean my rosea g. Makes a deep burrow and barricades it up. Usually it makes very small pocket burrows where it just sits in.

For enclosures, both are in terrestial cubes from jamies and they do a good job with maintaining humidity.

Both have about 4in coco fiber as substrate. I slightly dampen the sub once a week or so. Enough so it can get fairly dry with no molding issues.

Both slings molted at the same time last molt, so i increased the humidty a bit.

This was the only time I've seen the brachypelma above ground since i acquired it nearly 3 months ago.

I doubt environment is the cause here as ive maintained both the same way since i set them up. Both have been feeding and have molted successfully before. Even this time the molting was going okay except that it had its legs facing the opposite way. Im fairly sure had they been facing down, it would've broken free just fine.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
burrowing for premolt/molt is normal, barricading is a good sign for that, or it could just be tired of the world and wants to hide out for a while.

I'd let the rosea enclosure dry out, they like it bone dry.

B. albo's are awesome bulldozers. both of mine were constantly underground until they hit about 1.5" dls or so, then they started to come out and be seen more. I also cut the substrate depth in half and gave them a burrow. Now they don't burrow as much and are seen even more. They use the hide when spooked, and have dug out a bit under the hide so it's like a sink hole with a "roof".

Saberfal

3 Year Member
I have to agree, love my rosea! And it'll only go in that portion in premolt, which why i see it as weird.

I did check on the brachy this morning, but didn't have any response.... Pretty bummed about it. The position of the legs though has me puzzled. I wasn't able to find any information about other Ts doing that during a molt. I couldn't even find a picture of a t doing the same posture. Feel like i had a t that just wasnt that bright in a way. I'll get a picture of it up once I get home, it just seems so weird.

bekahsharkey

3 Year Member
Would you still be willing to post a picture of the legs.my girl decided to molt sideways one time and lost two limbs in the process of getting out .

Latest posts