• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brachypelma Vagans : )

Will25

3 Year Member
Just thought i'd share my experience on this T. Red Rump's are probably the cheapest T out there and I think for that reason people take them for granted. I never wanted one but one day after buying crickets had enough change for one and thought...ag why not. Since day one he has never been skittish or aggresive! Not even flicking hairs like a true Mexican T should hehe. I highly recommend them for beginners and experienced keepers who have never owned one! This beautifull black stocky T is awesome with gorgeous shocking red hairs on its abdomen! If anyone on this forum has an adult Red Rump please post it! I would love to see your babies! Thanks guys have a good one!☺

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Actually B.vagans is one of the more skittish and occasionally defensive Brachys. I'd recommend a B.albopilosum or smithi over vagans as a first tarantula. Price depends on what part of the world you live in. Here, albopilosum and G.rosea/portei are cheaper than a vagans.

Will25

3 Year Member
Okay makes sense! Probably( and luckily ) just a very docile B.Vagans I have here!But yes the B.smithi and B.albopilosum has always been the best choice! Just giving the Red Rump some props!Haha Thanks Chubbs☺

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree they're great tarantulas. Very beautiful and one of the more affordable Brachys. They're just not quite as calm as most other members of that genus.

Fleas

3 Year Member
Ya my vagan is awesome tackle's live pray with no remorse always making improvements to it enclosure fast grower for a brachys. like to be a pet hole at time lol

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just purchased (arrived yesterday) a sling Vagans. He's my first :) when ordered he was listed as .25" but that must have been the body length. he's closer to 1/2 eyeball measuring the legs. Compared to the boehmei I ordered my son 2 weeks ago my Vagans is much more docile. but also about half the size, so that could contribute to it. In the 2 weeks we've had the boehmei he's flicked all the hairs off the left back portion of his abdomen, and when we "unboxed" him (or maybe her) he was skittish and aggressive at first. My vagans just wandered out of the shipping vial like he owned the place. It's a black and white difference between the two so far. I'm hoping that won't change as my vagan grows. :)

Thistles

3 Year Member
They're neat Ts. I used to have a big adult female grump, but she ended up being the casualty of a break up. Alas. I have 2 juvies now, 1 male 1 female. The female has some weird stuff happening on her opisthosoma, but I'll take a pic of the little man and post it later on.

image.jpeg

He just molted on November 27th so he's very fresh :)

Last edited:

Wg25

3 Year Member
They're neat Ts. I used to have a big adult female grump, but she ended up being the casualty of a break up. Alas. I have 2 juvies now, 1 male 1 female. The female has some weird stuff happening on her opisthosoma, but I'll take a pic of the little man and post it later on.

View attachment 12262
Awesome looking T! Mine is about the same size now but i am not sure of the sex!

Wg25

3 Year Member
I just purchased (arrived yesterday) a sling Vagans. He's my first :) when ordered he was listed as .25" but that must have been the body length. he's closer to 1/2 eyeball measuring the legs. Compared to the boehmei I ordered my son 2 weeks ago my Vagans is much more docile. but also about half the size, so that could contribute to it. In the 2 weeks we've had the boehmei he's flicked all the hairs off the left back portion of his abdomen, and when we "unboxed" him (or maybe her) he was skittish and aggressive at first. My vagans just wandered out of the shipping vial like he owned the place. It's a black and white difference between the two so far. I'm hoping that won't change as my vagan grows. :)
Good choice! They are really gorgeous tarantulas! Mine molten a few weeks ago and is about 8 cm long! They are awesome eaters! I usually give mine 2 roaches on feeding days :) and I also bought a Boehmei sling about 4 months ago and he just started to get nice colours on his legs! But yes Mexican Tarantulas are known for always flicking when they are disturbed! My red knee does it has soon as I come near so I try to only touch them when it's really needed! But congrats they are really awesome! :)
Oh and it's me will25...just forget my pin for that profile!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

View attachment 12262

I never thought i'd say this but that's a beautiful T.

Little side story on why I'd never say that. My son has wanted a T for a few years now but I have never been a fan of spiders and kept saying no way. I'm the skittish type that notices a spider on my desk, reaches for something to kill it with and when I look back and don't see it there I get the creepy crawlies on my arms and back. So there's no way I was going to have a T in my house. That all changed the day my son drew up the plan to do a school project on raising and studying a T. After that was accepted by the school and the T was ordered, he came home and said "Dad, guess what, we're getting a spider!"

I've wanted to kick him so to speak for going behind my back, but then I'm glad he did or I wouldn't be raising a vagans myself and looking at buying a smithi next week :)

I can't wait till my little 1/4" vagans grows large enough to show his colors like that!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine is in her hide as usual, large juvie/subadult..This is the most underrated Brachy in the hobby...they're great feeders, gorgeous, and the largest in the genus. Mine is skittish but not defensive at all, she's never even kicked hairs at me. Excellent spider.

Latest posts