• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brachypelma smithi breeding report

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
On wednesday, whilst doing my usual daily browsing for new additions, i stumbled across a mature male b.smithi and after toying with the idea of either waiting for one of my males to mature or just buying this one, my inner arachnoholic came into play and i pressed the buy button. Heres another breeding project.
My females enclosure was setup to accomodate breeding when i got her so i would have no need to start adjusting her enclosure.
1438fe5738a69cbecd374dc067f88929.jpg

Friday 7th october 2016.
I received my mature male today, freshly molted (almost fresh, matured middle of september).
2736142194be30b5cb9880fe80e0f399.jpg

fb969d1c4dfc88390a81a35670aec5cc.jpg

After reading lots of reports online about breeding this species, alot said that shark tanking or waiting for the male to settle into his enclosure wasnt really needed. So i gave him about 3 hours to feel at home and then he entered the spiders lair [emoji6]
Less than 30 seconds and he found her, drummed twice, she turned and BAM!!!!!
0dfeed8abdba6ed3e326e6f4a33ebf9f.jpg

2fc77738e048130f419c2a3f2414718a.jpg

84e9df46b66644d88676a1bbb477333d.jpg

Multiple insertions, she wasnt a happy bunny when they seperated and its lucky i had her held back with the tongd because he let go and tried to climb the glass to get out but slid back down and turned and ran straight into her lol.

Heres a couple of post mating ventral shots of the female.
82476da117bc18ff9e21f1a003390614.jpg

7fcda85815ce06f41afcada8965efff4.jpg

Heres a video too.

Tuesday 11th october 2016.
Attempted 2nd pairing. Female ignored the male, wasnt aggressive but ran into her hide and kicked hairs at him. Male ran out of the enclosure.

Wednesday 12th october 2016.
Male made sperm web.

Thursday 13th october 2016.
Attempted second pairing, again female ignored the male, no aggression. Male didnt attempt to breed after she ignored him.

Saturday 15th october 2016.
Male ate.

Sunday 16th october 2016.
Successful 2nd pairing. Only lasted 5 minutes. Female was very receptive, male got afew good insertions, she then pushed herself up so she was standing tall on her rear legs. I decided to seperate them at that point. She was none aggressive when id seperated them though and didnt chase him or display any threat posture. She was more aggressive after i seperated them at the first pairing than this one.
e9d8409bd0d9fde6fa200a5c8940cb95.jpg

d5889677eda1a515c4715edaba148e60.jpg

48aff891b6ae971b87da13835cef5689.jpg

Wednesday 19th october 2016.
I had planned on a 3rd pairing today. Female was pacing about abit, once she settled down i used my paint brush to stroke her abdomen and she turned around, threw a threat pose at me and slapped at the paintbrush (only a small slap, but still a slap lol) Anyway i decided the pairing was off for today, i tried to feed her but she refused, so did the male.

Last edited:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Go go, go Johnny, go, go go! Sorry buddy. You must get that all the time. Great thread. Fingers crossed for a sac. Wish my female would moult so we can give your boy another one to go at.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Dont be sorry phil, the support encourages me to succeed. How far off is she? Im hoping so, these are my all time faves so to get a sac from her would be amazing.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Dont be sorry phil, the support encourages me to succeed. How far off is she? Im hoping so, these are my all time faves so to get a sac from her would be amazing.
She seems to have been in pre-moult for months. The only one of my adukts not to appear on the moult chart this year. And is probably getting on for 18 months at least from last moult. No darkening of the bald patch yet though so suspect a few mor months to go too.:(

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Its typical isnt it, just when you think they are close, they still dont molt. My adult female avic metallica has been in premolt for ages, she stopped eating and blocked herself off in her web, then yesterday she was walking around her enclosure. I offered her food and she refused and went back in her hide lol

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Its typical isnt it, just when you think they are close, they still dont molt. My adult female avic metallica has been in premolt for ages, she stopped eating and blocked herself off in her web, then yesterday she was walking around her enclosure. I offered her food and she refused and went back in her hide lol
I think it is their way of saying....."although you may look after me, I WILL DECIDE what to do with my life". Little sods :D

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You should see me when im pairing them up, adreneline pumping like mad, just because i dont want the males to get killed lol.
I bet it is. Can you imagine what stage you will be in if a male was loaned to you.......

Latest posts