• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brachypelma Boehmei aggressivness

Coltbreath

3 Year Member
Several months ago I purchased a large Fire leg from a local reputable store. I know that handling of tarantulas is the owners choice and my decision to chose a Brachy, was based on the species noted docile characteristics. The spider was on the large size so after its first molt, I re-housed the spider from the medium deli cup to the smallest critter keeper which I had from my GBB. I feed the spider a mix of small dubias and crickets weekly and pay attention to keeping a moist and dry side to accomodate humidity requirements. Now the disposition of the spider, I don't know if the enclosure is to small, but this Brachy strikes/ lunges ( not defensive posturing) at the water stream, at the paintbrush I use to touch its back legend of course its food. in comparision my GBB who was raised from a stringer and first tarantula while know to be a skittish species is more mellow than the docile Brachy. I don't know if giving the spider more space would decrease the striking/lunging behavior or more food is the issue. my initial thought is to re-house again, but it would be difficult to get the spider into a deli cup w/out the beast going rogue.
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. and the size of the spider is about silver dollar size. i'm assuming this is a 2 year old Brachy since I was told they grow slowly Picture uploaded for size reference

Attachments

• 2016-08-27 14.57.17.jpg
    2016-08-27 14.57.17.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 80

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Several months ago I purchased a large Fire leg from a local reputable store. I know that handling of tarantulas is the owners choice and my decision to chose a Brachy, was based on the species noted docile characteristics. The spider was on the large size so after its first molt, I re-housed the spider from the medium deli cup to the smallest critter keeper which I had from my GBB. I feed the spider a mix of small dubias and crickets weekly and pay attention to keeping a moist and dry side to accomodate humidity requirements. Now the disposition of the spider, I don't know if the enclosure is to small, but this Brachy strikes/ lunges ( not defensive posturing) at the water stream, at the paintbrush I use to touch its back legend of course its food. in comparision my GBB who was raised from a stringer and first tarantula while know to be a skittish species is more mellow than the docile Brachy. I don't know if giving the spider more space would decrease the striking/lunging behavior or more food is the issue. my initial thought is to re-house again, but it would be difficult to get the spider into a deli cup w/out the beast going rogue.
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. and the size of the spider is about silver dollar size. i'm assuming this is a 2 year old Brachy since I was told they grow slowly Picture uploaded for size reference
First to mind is I don't see a hide in that pic. My money is on that as to why he's defensive. Without a hide they have no way to get away from the world, their fight or flight instinct is stuck in fight mode.

That Kritter Keeper is too small in my opinion. You want something with a width at least twice their leg span so they have some room to grow and you're not rehousing them so often.

No need for a wet/dry side with a Brachy. At his size he probably isn't burrowing anymore so all he needs is a hide and a water dish. The water dish will provide the humidity. If it's really dry where you are, you can overflow the water dish once a week or so, but let the substrate dry out between each overflow so it doesn't mold.

Coltbreath

3 Year Member
Thank You for the quick response!. I guess I will rehome to the larger critter keeper and set up a nice hide for my friend. He/ She filled in the old hole/hide I had set up the prior molt. they actually molted in the under the hide and then back filled it. this will be my project this week since they are feed and hopefully going to be chillin. maybe I'll wear gloves

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thats another reason they need a hide, a safe place to molt. They'll block the door then open it when they're ready to face the world again.

Coltbreath

3 Year Member
Thank You for the sound advice kormath. My Brachy was re-housed and couldn't be happier. I did go a bit larger on the size as suggested, and this guy has turned into Bob the builder. excavating a much larger space for his hide than expected. but less edgy than before now that the environment is secure, and safe. Thanks Again!!

Attachments

• 2016-09-05 20.00.33.jpg
    2016-09-05 20.00.33.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 44