• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Blatta lateralis's are dying..

bookac

3 Year Member
I got Blatta lateralis as new food for my T, they are better then my Dubia Roaches, because they dont burrow in the substrance, but they smell bad.. never mind..

My question is why are they dying ?, i am keeping them in a fridge box, with holes on the top, with part of egg carton inside.. They all look like the wings are bitten , and messed up.. :(

Half of them are dead already, and i took them five days ago..

Fleas

3 Year Member
What the temperature you keeping them at and what are you giving them to eat? The eaten wings on the male's might be from the female roaches.

bookac

3 Year Member
What the temperature you keeping them at and what are you giving them to eat? The eaten wings on the male's might be from the female roaches.
I am keeping them in my basement, wich is pretty cold and humid down there. For the food I havent put anything, what should I put, some fruit or ?

Fleas

3 Year Member
I feed a mix of grinded dog food, wheated gain cereal and for hydration I'll feed lettuce and cucumbers. You must keep them warm is there a furnace or water heater you can stick them by in the basement?

Therasoid

3 Year Member
I am keeping them in my basement, wich is pretty cold and humid down there. For the food I havent put anything, what should I put, some fruit or ?
B. lateralis require higher temps 75-85 degrees and a humid ( 60+% ) environment to sustain them.
As for food, cut up potatoes, carrots, lettuce, they love oranges and apple. For dry food I crush up some bran flakes mixed with rolled oats. I use water crystals for mine to drink from, nymphs will drown in a water dish. Some people grind up cat/dog kibble as a dry food, they eat pretty much anything and always seem to be hungry.
Just finishing my larger ( 18"X18"X36" ) breeding tank since the old 10 gallon tank is too small for my needs.
As far as the odor, could be from having poor ventilation and /or from the decaying dead.

bookac

3 Year Member
I feed a mix of grinded dog food, wheated gain cereal and for hydration I'll feed lettuce and cucumbers. You must keep them warm is there a furnace or water heater you can stick them by in the basement?
There is a furnace for private central heating, but we still havent started the heating seasson, when will do that I can keep them there, but for now I need to find another solution..

for the food, you let them stay in the enclousure ? I should be aware of getting mold..

bookac

3 Year Member
B. lateralis require higher temps 75-85 degrees and a humid ( 60+% ) environment to sustain them.
As for food, cut up potatoes, carrots, lettuce, they love oranges and apple. For dry food I crush up some bran flakes mixed with rolled oats. I use water crystals for mine to drink from, nymphs will drown in a water dish. Some people grind up cat/dog kibble as a dry food, they eat pretty much anything and always seem to be hungry.
Just finishing my larger ( 18"X18"X36" ) breeding tank since the old 10 gallon tank is too small for my needs.
As far as the odor, could be from having poor ventilation and /or from the decaying dead.
Thank you, I am still not planning to breed them, just to keep them alive, because I dont have females, I have 10 more alive I think, for the next package I will defently concider what you guys suggest. thanks a lot

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Thank you, I am still not planning to breed them, just to keep them alive, because I dont have females, I have 10 more alive I think, for the next package I will defently concider what you guys suggest. thanks a lot
You're welcome. If you do plan on breeding, feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to share breeding techniques with you. [emoji3]

bookac

3 Year Member
You're welcome. If you do plan on breeding, feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to share breeding techniques with you. [emoji3]
I will do, I am moving out from my house next week, and after that I will PM you, because I think that would be fun proccess. :D

Thanks a lot