• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bite report videos,relevant info on temperament and other general info(video format)

jon ross

3 Year Member
Great idea and i think it wont be long before i post a pic of a bite from a certian chille rose. I just tried touching her again and she imediatly turned and attacked me. I did everything right, slow movements etc but the second i made contact she turns and kinda repeatadly whacked my fingers with her front legs. Defo a stroppy one

jon ross

3 Year Member
Yea i guessed and i did pretty sharpish. Thing is when i first got her i opened the container and she didnt really move then lowered it into the viv and nudged her out and she just calmly walked out of the container and since then twice ive touched her and got the same reaction so im just guna leave her alone now lol

jon ross

3 Year Member
True. Its just me being too intreeged by them and wanting to hold them i guess. But i got to get used to the fact that they dont like it and some that i will own it would be stupid to anyway. Ah well come on people i wana hear some bite storys lol

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
I've had quite a few bites... :(

C.sp."huahini" (Around 8cm): I was photographing the spider during a rehouse. When I looked through the lens, the spider just darted off screen. Instinctively put my hand down and it ran up my arm towards my open sleeve. Tried to pull my sleeve closed before it got there, but was a little late and trapped its legs down onto the inside of my elbow. Got a decent bite right in the soft tissue on the inside of my arm. Burned for a few hours and was itchy for a day or 2.

A.junodi: Was at a pet shop when a guy walked in with a junodi. Here in SA they are illegal to keep unless you have a permit (I am one of 2 people in the tarantula hobby who has one), so informed him of this. He was happy to give the spider up which he did. Decided to give a quick impromptu handling session. The spider walked from my one hand to the other and then decided to give me a warning bite. Her one fang went into the first section of my thumb and the second fang hit the bone. After about 3 seconds of moving her fang around she got it right in the joint. The whole bite must have been about 5 seconds long. She then calmly pulled her fangs out and continued walking around. Put her back into her enclosure and carried on with life. About 15min later my finger started swelling like crazy (Along with some good pain). Eventually I couldn't bend my thumb at all it was so swollen. The swelling subsided a few hours later and the pain was replaced with some pins and needles for a day or so.

Other than that I have been bitten by a few Sparassids (Palystes superciliosus or known as rain spiders here in South Africa) which are totally pain free, stung by a whole lot of scorpions (All non Buthids though, so not life threatening) which were sore for 30min max and a bunch of other true spiders. Also had 2 bites from adult Ceratogyrus darlingi's which were painful for like 5 min.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for the input, see now this is what I had in mind. This educates a bit on possible outcome of such a bite, not saying you'd have the same experience but a possibility. You have to factor in are you allergic to a bee sting, if so it will be worse. I have been bitten twice, once by a brachypelma Emilia only had a slight head ache I could be wrong but its very mild to low venom. The other was a baboon spider in Middelburg Mpumalanga, this time I was looking to see what specimens were around was still young. Can't say which one it was, but she sunk her teeth into me had a feeling of nausea for around I'd say an hour. Slight swelling was seen, but that's about it.

jon ross

3 Year Member
Oooh owch lol. The main thing im worried about if i got bitten is jumping and harming the t, but saying that im still nee to the hobby so im a little skittish around them anyway. Ill get used to them

BossRoss

3 Year Member
I am new to the hobby too and have never been bitten...yet... I am still a little to skitish to handle my T often... Even when I do a water drop test to see if she is hungry, I still end up flinching when she attacks the water drop... ha ha!! I still need to get used to them, although my curly hair seems a little more comfortable with me than I do with her for the time being. :)

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You can never be 100% prepared, no such thing. Well unless you are able to see the future, so anything could happen. Best is to get used to it, but again anything can happen. There is always a percentage of chance for a different outcome than the usual, just don't blame the tarantula haha.

jon ross

3 Year Member
Yea its not like they are sluggish lol. I guess that youd sorta see it comming by what youve done to make it bite but even then i guess you wouldnt properly know untill those fangs sunk in and a few swear words come out

Latest posts