• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best introductory species to breeding

spider4747

3 Year Member
I'm open to suggestions of scorpions on this thread, mainly because I thought of raising up a male and female (probably more of both in case of failures) emperor to breed some babies. Their 8-9 month gestation is understandably unsettling.

Breeding a few species would be the best way to gain expertise on the hobby and make the most use of my efficiency apartment. For species who need no heating pad I can use exo terra breeder boxers;

I'll also take book suggestions on the subject of breeding arachnids.

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
BKBUGS had some interesting orange and blue scorplings for sale in our classifieds. Don't know much about scorpions, but id say A avic and G rosea/porteri are the best starter breeders, as far as spiders, simply because it would be easy to hit the pet stores and find a mm and a mf to breed. And if you lose a mm, just get another for 20 bucks:)

spider4747

3 Year Member
right so buy a few pink toes. In fact buy 4or so to make sure a male is in the mix. I'm pretty sure the whole shelf comes from 1 litter.

swimbait

3 Year Member
right so buy a few pink toes. In fact buy 4or so to make sure a male is in the mix. I'm pretty sure the whole shelf comes from 1 litter.

Inbreeding occurs in the hobby, but if avoidable that is always best. A lot of people say its not possible because males mature and die before females but that's not true really. Females can be bred pretty small. Not that I am suggesting to do it. However, Avics are a pretty slow growing species and you will be waiting 2 or so years for a mature male

spider4747

3 Year Member
Is this a small tarantula for a 2 year old ? its a porteri. If you say a male lives more than a year than I wonder if veronica is really a male. i had her as a sling. thats a toilet paper roller near her.

Attachments

• 12316086_1666543893623193_2922081582849027764_n (1).jpg
    12316086_1666543893623193_2922081582849027764_n (1).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 31

swimbait

3 Year Member
Males don't usually live over a year, what I meant was that small females can usually breed to the mature males, the males don't live long enough for the females to get much bigger. Unless they are T. stirmi of course lol. I have never raised a rose hair but I would say that seems about the right size for a 2 year old grammostola species. My G.pulchra is a year and half this size if not smaller. I don't know what age porteris usally mature at so you could have a male or female. Males don't show a distinctive difference until they are mature and then they get hooks on their pedipalps.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Males don't usually live over a year, what I meant was that small females can usually breed to the mature males, the males don't live long enough for the females to get much bigger. Unless they are T. stirmi of course lol. I have never raised a rose hair but I would say that seems about the right size for a 2 year old grammostola species. My G.pulchra is a year and half this size if not smaller. I don't know what age porteris usally mature at so you could have a male or female. Males don't show a distinctive difference until they are mature and then they get hooks on their pedipalps.
I've heard pulchras grow a bit faster then other G species. I'm hoping this is true, I know my male pulchripes has surprised me with how fast he's growing. Males grow faster then females of course, but this guy..anyway, I can't wait for him and my female pulchra to hit adulthood. As it is my juvie pulchra and juvie albopilosum have been neck and neck with molts, but the pulchra gains much more size each time.