• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best beginner?

Tarantula123

3 Year Member
Hello, i was just wondering what is the best beginner tarantula so i can study up:) because i want to purchase my first one and i dont want one with an attitude and 6in. fangs to match lol so help :p

Youlovejordan

3 Year Member
I think the best beginner tarantula would be a chilean rose. Make sure you research first because you don't want to end up with a species that's defense and territorial. You want one that you'll be able to handle gently and one that actually like to be handled.

BigOtto

3 Year Member
Anything in the Brachypelma species for terrestrials they like their soil a little on the dry side and will climb the sides of the enclosure if it's to damp for them.

For arboreals you would be safe with any of the Avicularia species. They do need room to climb and like their humidity around 75 to 80%.

I'd also recommend a Grammostola pulchripes aka Chaco Golden Knee,they do get to be fairly large however. Possibly a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens aka Green Bottle Bluem they also like it on the dry side, they are terrestrial but like to climb a little so some climbing space is needed.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like you got a few good recommendations here. What do you think you have room for? An arboreal or a terrestrial type? I know I would have a hard time maintaining that much humidity here in SoCal...

Shaina

3 Year Member
Yeah I agree with jordan and BigOtto anything in the Brachypelma family like a red knee or fire leg or in the Grammostola family like the Chaco Goldknee would be good. The Brazilian Black tarantula (Grammostola pulchra) is one of the most sought after tarantulas around and probably the best "pet" but they are very difficult to breed and to find and are typically expensive if you do end up finding someone who has them. I have been looking for one for a while actually with no luck. I wouldn't start with a pinktoe, while they are wonderful spiders they are very fast moving and not something you should start out with but after a while they are great to watch :) definitely do research and see what spider you think would fit you best hope this helped!

jetfire

3 Year Member
Almost all of the tarantulas, short of possibly the birdeaters and the old world arboreals, will do just fine as adults in a 20 long.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
That's what is so nice about being into tarantulas. They don't take up a HUGE amount of space! Maybe that's why so many people have more than one or two! ;) :)

Dana C

3 Year Member
I thought one or two and quit at 9.
As far as a "first tarantula" a Rosea is a good choice but will not be like the care sheets may indicate in terms of molt frequency, feeding etc.
My favorite is my G. puchripes. Yes, she is huge, 6 or 7 inches but docile and very attractive after a molt. The most attractive is my G. inheringi. She is an iridescent black with an burnt orange abdomen. She too is quite large and not for a beginner. She WILL tag you give the chance.

Donk

3 Year Member
Whilst I agree Brachys and Roseas are great beginners....I personally feel if the original poster or any other potentional owner wishs to have a trantula (or any other animal for that matter) research is paramount, visiting othe rnearby keepers, shops and show if possible is vitual...just because we recommend something doesnt mean it is right for you....also whats to say you dont think the recommened (after purchasing) is boring or isnt what you expected it can out you off keeping or cause you to return him/her, I would suggest searching for a T you like (look in person or online) then research research research and get the animal you want not what you feel yous hould to get into the hobby.

BigOtto

3 Year Member
I'm not saying a beginner shouldn't get something a little more difficult to care for. I know people that chose pokies as their first T's. You just have to know what your getting into. So like Donk said research what your thinking of getting.